Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

shoud I go back to tpi?

Old 12-14-2002, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camaro87z28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shoud I go back to tpi?

I've got a 1987 z28 camaro with a 350 dropped in. The guy I bought it from decided to be a moron and rip out the tuned port injection system and replace it with a four barrel carb. Right now I'm not getting as much power as I should be and I'm wondering if I should just upgrade to a better four barrel carb or look for a tpi system to throw on instead. Leave me some feedback on which you think would be better, thanks. Also, I've got an automatic and my second gear is slow as crap, let me know if you know any ways to fix that.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:58 AM
LV2XLR8

91Blackbird is an unknown quantity at this point

In terms of power, a carb will beat TPI hands down. TPI will choke your engine after 4000 rpms. It's best suited to a truck.

If you have a bundle of money and can buy the tpi intake upgrades, etc go for it. Here is a more cost effective method of doing that.

http://www.lt1intake.com

Get an Edelbrock Performer RPM carb/intake combo. Put in a decent cam. You'll love it. If you have extra money have your heads ported or buy some nice aftermarket heads.

Carbs get less gas mileage but much more air/fuel to the cylinders.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:52 AM

camaro87z28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice, firebird. I don't have the money yet but when I do I'll look into the Edelbrock. Do you know how much it will cost, or at least about how much?
Old 12-15-2002, 04:38 PM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz

get some angle plug 202 heads
Old 12-17-2002, 04:44 PM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

you can't just say "get these heads" and expect everything to just magically work together and make a butt-ton of power. that's not even an answer to the question he asked in the first place!!!

welcome to the world of 'tuning'- it's obvious you're fairly new to this. suffice it to say it takes more than just throwing parts on a car to make power, especially in the world of v8s. granted, you can do that, and make power, but you'll just fall into the realm of the typical bolt-on crowd who run 13s and will talk a hole in your head about what parts they got and what parts they're going to get, there's no real substance to these people.

begin doing research. 91blackbird made a good suggestion. that doesn't mean go out and do exactly what he said just because he said it. take his advice for what it is (i.e.- ADVICE), and go from there. talk to as many people as you can, and learn from everyone. you have to be able to decipher who knows their shit and who's full of shit- that will end up making or breaking whether you end up knowing your shit or not. you are who you talk to. anyway.

seeing as how your car is already carbureted, my suggestion would be to stay with it. carbs are a blessing in a way, you don't have to dick with any computers or injector size and duty cycle bullshit, you just pick a carb and tune it right for your setup. the ABSOLUTE BEST carbs out there are demon, bar none. but they're expensive- you get what you pay for. but that may be further down the line for you... but hell, it couldn't hurt (except maybe in gas mileage) for the time being to buy too much carb, that's one less thing further down the line. but it's all in the combination... too much carb and you're running rich, losing power. too little carb and you're starving, not making the power you should be- and if you're running forced induction you're damaging your engine. a 750 you can't really go wrong with, but make sure it's mechanical secondaries if you go with a big cam... some big cams won't make the vacuum necessary to open the secondaries in a vacuum actuated carb. there's a whole lot to get into... talk to people. good luck.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:52 PM
Buick turbo tweaker

REDS TTYPE is an unknown quantity at this point

take it to a performance car machanic and have it tuned in .

I do tuning and crap but for a fee ..
I'm right of mercury blvd

you can build a 600 hp motor and if its outta tune its not going to make what its capable of.