Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

shift fork?

Old 10-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDL9000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shift fork?

i drive a 94 4 door civic EX 5 speed.ok i got my trany rebuilt in march. then all of a sudden my tranny started to grind into 3rd gear and only 3rd gear. So i took it back to aamco. they are who rebuilt the tranny. The manager took it all apart and told me that i broke the shift fork going from 3rd to 4th gear, he also told me that he could void my warranty because shift forks NEVER BREAK. he said he had never seen one break they just wear down. so he said i abused the transmission, and he has proof so he said he has the right to void my warranty. but i called AUTO SOLUTIONS and they told me shift forks can break and its pretty normal in civics. IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH A SHIFT FORK? info will be very helpful so i can snap on this guy when i go to get my car tomorrow. thanks in advance
Old 10-26-2004, 02:12 PM
hybrid hatch

totaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these parts
Default Re: shift fork?

i know shiftforks bend, thats why it grinds going into 3rd. when i rebuilt my tranny the shiftfork was bent so slightly you couldnt see it unless you set it down side by side with the new one, and even then it was barely noticealbe.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the input. also i was told by abacus racing that if the shift fork was broke in half then it wouldnt even go into any gears. but yet mine just grinded. something really shady about this
Old 10-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

"SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam

I've seen broken shift forks, abacus is right, if it's broke then it isn't going into any gear. Your synchros are probably fucked in 3rd. Tell them to stop treating you like an idiot and and make them fix it.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by "SI"ngle Cam
I've seen broken shift forks, abacus is right, if it's broke then it isn't going into any gear. Your synchros are probably fucked in 3rd. Tell them to stop treating you like an idiot and and make them fix it.
thanks man i brought it to the wrong damn place. any one else been in a situation like this
Old 10-26-2004, 03:15 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

dont drive a honda like a race car and you shouldnt have issues....

the shift forks are cast, they can and will break with abuse. i have seen one bend a time or two. the main thing is grabbing gears (although i dont see a point of grabbing fourth, unless you do alot of 4-3 hard downshifts) is hard on the shift forks and sliders. you said it grinds? very good possiblity that the shift fork is broken on the tab that locks the slider to it, and it is not pushing the slider ring into the synchro fully, not engaging the gear all the way.

if your synchros are fucked, it will grind a little going in, but it will go into gear. and on an upshift, it usually wont grind much. downshift is where you will see it then.

hope this helps. it is possible it is due to their repair, but dont have the whole "they worked on it last and they fucked it up" mentality. that will piss them off immediately. it does piss me off when customers do that to me.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by fc735
very good possiblity that the shift fork is broken on the tab that locks the slider to it, and it is not pushing the slider ring into the synchro fully, not engaging the gear all the way.

if your synchros are fucked, it will grind a little going in, but it will go into gear. and on an upshift, it usually wont grind much. downshift is where you will see it then.
Exactly what I was going to say. Also I would like to add that you have a hydro tranny and the shift forks in those things are very beefy compared to the cable D-series trannys. So that's how I know you were snatching gears. You have to be careful with a D-series transmission this is very common with them when driving the car hard and snatching gears.

If Aamco will not repair your tranny for you I can do it for you but you have to come up with the shift fork. If you can't find one my buddy may be willing to part with his for the right price.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by thebettersol
Exactly what I was going to say. Also I would like to add that you have a hydro tranny and the shift forks in those things are very beefy compared to the cable D-series trannys. So that's how I know you were snatching gears. You have to be careful with a D-series transmission this is very common with them when driving the car hard and snatching gears.

If Aamco will not repair your tranny for you I can do it for you but you have to come up with the shift fork. If you can't find one my buddy may be willing to part with his for the right price.
hey man thanks for looking out but i just talked to them they are going to take care of it for me. I was just curious about how it can snap in half but yet still go into gear to me that seems odd. thanks for the comments everyone
Old 10-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

It has 2 "fingers" that grab the slider. You probably broke one of the fingers off and one is still holding on to the slider. Causing it to engage un-evenly and grind on the way in. Tell them you want to keep the broke fork, you will be able to see and understand how it works alittle better.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by thebettersol
It has 2 "fingers" that grab the slider. You probably broke one of the fingers off and one is still holding on to the slider. Causing it to engage un-evenly and grind on the way in. Tell them you want to keep the broke fork, you will be able to see and understand how it works alittle better.
iight that sounds good. But the thing is i dont drive my car hard at all. thats why wen he said it was b/c of that i was like damn i dont even drive it hard and all my friends drive theres hard and theres didnt get fucked up