VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   s2000 diff HELP (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/s2000-diff-help-479806/)

Justiin 12-16-2013 02:29 PM

s2000 diff HELP

close

Travis. 12-16-2013 02:38 PM

Re: s2000 diff HELP

Originally Posted by Justiin (Post 8243120)
my ap1 diff went out and i don't know if i should get a new one or get it welded. i don't have the money right now because of Christmas and buying everyone stuff and i really need my car on the road. the question is if i get my diff welded would there be any differences in the way it drives? sorry if i sound stupid but i just need someone to clear the air for me, thanks

JacKal 12-16-2013 03:32 PM

You need more details than that. What's "out" on it?

Yardjass 12-16-2013 03:57 PM

No difference. An LSD and a solid rear axle behave exactly the same. Just ask any Mustang owner.

Fabrik8 12-16-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Justiin (Post 8243120)
the question is if i get my diff welded would there be any differences in the way it drives?

Only when you turn. Just drive on the highway and you're fine. Avoid surface streets.

Fabrik8 12-16-2013 07:12 PM

You do realize that when a LSD fails, you're left with an open diff.... A lot of RWD vehicles have an open diff from the factory.

I'm really curious about the what the problem actually is, and how you've come up with this very confused diagnosis....

JacKal 12-16-2013 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 8243214)
You do realize that when a LSD fails, you're left with an open diff.... A lot of RWD vehicles have an open diff from the factory.

I'm really curious about the what the problem actually is, and how you've come up with this very confused diagnosis....

+1

Yep4doors 12-16-2013 11:26 PM

If it's a problem where you can't drive it on the street there is probably no point in welding it and being a cheap ass.

Now that I think of it I don't think I've ever heard of someone welding an s2000 differential, considering they are made of glass from the factory.

S2Kitt 12-17-2013 02:31 AM

If the diff shit, it's not the LSD. It's prolly the ring an pinion final drive gear that's busted.

What typically happens with these diffs is people try an launch the car, drift it, install a heavier clutch, etc. Which in return takes a toll on the weakest par to these cars. (I.E. The Diff) What tends to happen is that drive shaft acts as a slide hammer and slams on the differential which in return causes the pinion gear (ice cream cone) to bind with the ring gear causing (stress cracks, broken teeth, catastrophic failure) that's where the grinding comes from or the locking feeling.

Your left with a couple of options.
($400-$600) Buy a used diff, stop beating on the car

($300-$500+time consuming) Rebuild the broken diff (replace stock final drive gear or go aftermarket 4.44,4.56,4.77) But know that these rear ends are not like ford or chevy's, you can't just slap it in an be done. There's specific spacing and tolerances that have to be followed otherwise your going to just waste your time and money.

($1200-$4000) The option I went with for mine was have a diff built professionally by Ben Herne (PuddyMod) He builds diffs and transmissions for Honda's factory Racecars. He offers all kinds of options and even has patens on parts that he designed specifically for the S2000.

($2500-$4000)Or you can go the ballar route and do the InlinePro R200 swap or Full Blown Ford 8.8 swap. But know these kits do not come the actual differential itself, it's just the modified parts to make them fit the S2000.

Bottom line is you gotta pay to play and these are not civics, if you cut corners with these cars they will come back to bite you in the ass.

Yardjass 12-17-2013 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by S2Kitt (Post 8243249)
Bottom line is you gotta pay to play and these are not civics, if you cut corners with these cars they will come back to bite you
In the ass.

People don't give rep enough for good info around here so I repped your post. What we are seeing with this car is it has depreciated far below the $30,000 plus automobile that it used to be. Once a weekend toy for retires and the well off, it has turned into a "mad ryte JDM AP1" that kids can now afford and do stupid, cheap shit to. The bottom line is this gentleman is absolutely right. The s2000 is a sports car, not an econo-box with endless cheap aftermarket support. If you can't afford to maintain it properly, you should probably just do both yourself and the car a favor. Sell it and get something else. That probably isn't the answer you want to hear but it is true. Same applies for any car that was once worth money and is now affordable (i.e. old Z's, corvettes, etc.)