Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

S14 VTC wirring on an S13??????RS200 Oil cooler lines?????

Old 02-25-2003, 08:09 AM
Formerly Shinobi....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RatedV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default S14 VTC wirring on an S13??????RS200 Oil cooler lines?????

Can I make an S13 motor run off of an S14a VTC ECU? I was wondering cause i think the S13 can be wired for VTC and the extra 40 or so HP it respectably gains.....Not too sure if its possible but if so lemme know.........I also need to know how to install the Oil cooler lines to the Diff cover........Im completely lost there........(RS200 LSD)Do i have to have a t spliter for the oil lines or what? I dodnt even know where to start with getting the lines or where i can get them custom made for my application..........Please help.......
Old 02-25-2003, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if you can make it run off the ecu, but you will not be able to use the VTC portion. the S13 does not include the mechanicals to allow it. Nor can it be added under any comon sense circumstances.

sounds like you have a bare S13sr and a full S14sr wiring setup. true?
Old 02-25-2003, 08:36 AM
Formerly Shinobi....

Originally posted by Greaser
I dont know if you can make it run off the ecu, but you will not be able to use the VTC portion. the S13 does not include the mechanicals to allow it. Nor can it be added under any comon sense circumstances.

sounds like you have a bare S13sr and a full S14sr wiring setup. true?
(Yeh S13 SR) The swap is complete i'm just wondering about swapping the ECU and harness/VTC solenoid, it looks like it will work but if you say it wont im not gonna try.......how bout the diff cover oil cooler lines any idea how to do that?

Only reason I ask is my boy just recently upgraded to an S15 in his S14 240sx and he sold the motor but the guy who bought it didnt want the ECU or harness.........Just figured if it was all wirring then id Buy a solenoid and try it but if not oh well........(Wish i could have afforded the S14 SR...lol)
Old 02-25-2003, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

btw its only a 15hp gain and imo it aint worth it.....turbo your KA if you want low end torque that the VTC gives you.

the diff cover i think is only just a cover with plumbing in it to an external resevoir. a waste of time unless this will be a 24hour endurance car. i've had my white 240 on several road courses with plenty of power and never had a rear end problem. sure you can do it.....but why? i've found out that just because it sounds good on paper doesnt mean it will actually work on the car. (maybe this is why my cars are so lightly modified)

if you dont want that S13 sr anymore i'll take it off your hands if i ever blow this one up.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:14 AM
poop

Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate

isnt that like trying to run a p13 ecu on a prelude si. (vtec ecu on a nonvtec motor)... if thats what im gathering...

turbo the ka!! =]
Old 02-25-2003, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

yes turbo the ka. one example was my setup that went 11.39@119, a KA with the exact same build specs and hp level and boost level, and cost of buildup the same

the KA ROMPED my ass on the dyno, nearly 70ft/lbs more torque 2,000rpm earlier and hp level earlier in the band. from the owner of an SR, keep the KA
Old 02-27-2003, 07:25 AM
Formerly Shinobi....

yes turbo the ka. one example was my setup that went 11.39@119, a KA with the exact same build specs and hp level and boost level, and cost of buildup the same

the KA ROMPED my ass on the dyno, nearly 70ft/lbs more torque 2,000rpm earlier and hp level earlier in the band. from the owner of an SR, keep the KA
LOL....Its not a 240sx.....Its an "87" RWD 200SX S12 with an S13SR transplant.......As for the diff your right about that too i talked to my boy on the 200 board said it was for shit like endu. racing which im not doing, as for the KA, would be an OK idea if I had one, the car came originally with the VG30E and is now getting a VG30ET form a Z for road course.....As for the VTC advise and the diff advice thanx......If you know anything about the VG30ET Lemme know I hear your the Man when it comes to Nissan.....Anyway thanx.........

PS. Im not sure cause i dont know too much about the KA24DE but could you mate an SR20 head to a KA block? If so has anyone frankenstiened like that before? Just out of curiosity.....
Or maybe swap internals such as rods and crank from SR to compensate for higher revs but still retain KA torq? like I said im not claiming its possible just wondering.......

Last edited by RatedV; 02-27-2003 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

nope, cant do a SR head on a KA head. chain geometry and design and bore size and bore spacing, oil feeds and drain feeds are all different locations. Actually, i think the KA head flows better than the SR head. also in theory on paper the KA head can rev higher given a bottom end that could as well. Think about this.....the SR is the only 4 cyl motor in the last 15 years i'm aware of that has 1lobe per 2 intake valves. And uses rocker arms. The RB series uses direct acting valve geometry, the ka does as well......but i love the SR for its easy of install and use and sheer stock powerholding ability. A buddy in FL has tested his stock block to 457rwhp uncorrected, 440 corrected RWHP. so many strong points and weak points of each motor......but i'll stop here.

i know a little about the VG30ET. got any specific questions?
Old 02-27-2003, 11:21 AM
Formerly Shinobi....

nope, cant do a SR head on a KA head. chain geometry and design and bore size and bore spacing, oil feeds and drain feeds are all different locations. Actually, i think the KA head flows better than the SR head. also in theory on paper the KA head can rev higher given a bottom end that could as well. Think about this.....the SR is the only 4 cyl motor in the last 15 years i'm aware of that has 1lobe per 2 intake valves. And uses rocker arms. The RB series uses direct acting valve geometry, the ka does as well......but i love the SR for its easy of install and use and sheer stock powerholding ability. A buddy in FL has tested his stock block to 457rwhp uncorrected, 440 corrected RWHP. so many strong points and weak points of each motor......but i'll stop here.

i know a little about the VG30ET. got any specific questions?
LOL yeh you know your shit.......Nah not yet I was just asking for future reference....Thanx though man,......I saw your 240 the other day at the Honda meet nice lookin that and dans truck was the only thing that truly impressed me but anyway nice ride bro.....