Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

S14 possible charging issue???

Old 11-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Previously Odyssey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime
Default S14 possible charging issue???

Kind of long story but I want to give a little background info first.

I recently put an s14 sr20det into my 95' 240sx. The engine was initially wired for a 97' 240sx. I was told everything would be the exact same and as far as I know it is..

It has an Emanage in it.

I relocated the battery to the trunk and grounded the battery to the threaded hole where the spare normally goes.

I kept the big engine ground wire on the intake manifold there and grounded the other end to the chassis.(not sure if I should have done this)

So i got the engine running just fine. had no problems at all at first. I drove to class that night and it pulled pretty hard and strong. Was very satisfied and went home after class (35 miles total) and nothing went wrong.

The next day, I drove to class, then on the way home I stopped into a Wawa to clean my windshield because it was so nasty from sitting for 7 months without cleaning...I turned off the car, cleaned the windshield, and got back into the car. It would not start. The starter wouldn't even click over. So the first thing I do is check the fuse. It was blown. So I put a new one in and it blows as soon as I turn the key.

I checked the starter wires and see that the ground clip fell off. I plug it back in and install another fuse and it starts up..woohooooooo

I close the hood and pull out of the Wawa. As I turn into traffic, I look down and see my "Brake" light on. At first I thought I might have not put the brake handle all the way down. Nope. It is all the way down. Then I see the battery light is also on.

So the first thing I think is that I am having a charging issue within the alternator. So I turn off all non essential loads and do not go WOT and get it home.

With the engine still running, I check the battery and it reads around 14.4 volts.

Now I am pretty much baffled. the cables on the alternator are tight and the plug on it is fully secured. My relocation wires are tight and so is the main battery ground is tight.

Tonight I checked all my fuses again and see that the "alt s" fuse in the engine bay (which I am not 100% sure what that is for. Thought it was for the alternator) is not even there, but the alternator still pushes out 14.4 volts without that fuse or even if I put one in.

The "Starter" fuse in the car is blown, but the car starts just fine. If I replace the fuse, it just keeps popping the fuse.

I am using 4 gauge wire for the relocation and the ground.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.....

Any ideas?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

SmokeCRX has disabled reputation
Default Re: S14 possible charging issue???

If u cant figure it out u should take it to a shop....no way u can diag that without being with the car. It sounds like you've got alot going on there and multiple wiring issues. Good luck bro.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Previously Odyssey

Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime

Originally Posted by SmokeCRX
If u cant figure it out u should take it to a shop....no way u can diag that without being with the car. It sounds like you've got alot going on there and multiple wiring issues. Good luck bro.
lol..I figured it outttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!

well after like 5 hours of looking through all the wiring and looking at the FSM for the cars wiring diagrams, I noticed within the combination meter, the low oil pressure switch wires shares with the "brake" light ....the "brake" light shares with the alternators "charge" source.(kind of hard to explain without showing the wiring schematic)

actually here...I'll just post it..

So I figured what the hell. I checked the oil pressure unit and the plug had also fallen off some how. I plugged it back in and started it up. both lights turned right off...

I am glad that I figured it out, but pissed off that the only problem was that a connector just fell off.

Perseverance prevailed.

So I guess this thread can be closed..hahahaha
Old 11-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You might want to add a ground to the block instead of just using the intake manifold ground. That way you'll get a good current path from the starter to the chassis (and back to teh battery) without having to worry about conducting through intake manifold bolts (gaskets don't conduct well). Any little bit helps when moving the battery to the back because of the distance involved.

I'll close the thread per your request.