Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

s13 tail light/brake lights problems.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xChrisSmithx has disabled reputation
Default s13 tail light/brake lights problems.

Okay, so, my tail lights won't turn off.
Also when I hit the brakes they don't get brighter, they just stay dim.
and when I turn on the headlights, one of my tail lights shuts completely off.

If anyone can give any advice, I would definently appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:04 PM
last breath first

gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup

Wiring.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Default Re: s13 tail light/brake lights problems.

Originally Posted by gdupfromfeetup
Wiring.
The wiring looks good. No bare wires or anything, looks as it should, and it just randomly started today all at once.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 AM
last breath first

gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup

That actually helps a lot. From the OP I figured you had just acquired a new car, and was experiencing a wiring problem right off the start.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:23 AM
Registered Member

dartonh22 has disabled reputation

the contact switch isnt getting touched by the brake pedal, when you release the brake it touches the switch and turns off the lights, try shoving something in between your pedal and the contact switch.......thats my guess
Old 11-28-2011, 04:47 AM
Registered Member

Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker

The brake switch works off completing the circuit when the pedal is pushed back. There's a plastic stopper on a tab attached to the pedal arm. The plastic Nissan used for it becomes brittle over time and it breaks apart and falls out. Thankfully a new one is a few bucks from Nissan, and they updated the plastic to be more durable (all Nissans of the era used this exact same stopper). But what's happening is when the stopper falls apart, the switch still acts like the pedal is pushed back since nothing is depressing the switch and breaking the circuit.

Now, as far as the dim lights and your issue with your headlights, sounds like your lighting switch (the one on the column) may be going bad. They're notorious for dying in S13s after about 20 years or so. But what is concerning me is that if the brake lights are turning on like marker lights, then the entire illumination system should be kicking on constantly. All the marker lights are fed by the same Red/Blue circuit.

I would check your wiring harness near the scissor jack. I had mine come loose and rub through on the jack, shorting out the brake light circuit to the reverse lights. It was popping the fuse for my reverse lights when I put the car in reverse. Obviously not exactly what's happening to you, but it could be a similar cause.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

I just checked and found the switch for the brakes broken to pieces under my pedals. Fixing tonight, Hopefully that's the problem. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker

http://www.courtesyparts.com/46512-s...419_1515_1521&

You want that then I'm assuming. I've never seen a switch come apart, it's always the stopped on the pedal. Pomoco Nissan keeps a bunch in stock (assuming you're in the 757 area).

When you go to replace it, I found it easier to unbolt the brake booster from the pedal, and pull the booster/master out. It gives you more swinging room to work your hands up in there. Last time I replaced one of these, I spent more time trying to worm my fingers up in there with everything still together than I would have had I just pulled the BMC/Booster.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

john 89 has disabled reputation

I have had similar problems before. One time It was the brake pedal switch. On another s13, the front half of the chassis harness had melted and fused together all over the car
Old 11-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hijacker
http://www.courtesyparts.com/46512-s...419_1515_1521&

You want that then I'm assuming. I've never seen a switch come apart, it's always the stopped on the pedal. Pomoco Nissan keeps a bunch in stock (assuming you're in the 757 area).

When you go to replace it, I found it easier to unbolt the brake booster from the pedal, and pull the booster/master out. It gives you more swinging room to work your hands up in there. Last time I replaced one of these, I spent more time trying to worm my fingers up in there with everything still together than I would have had I just pulled the BMC/Booster.
I got the parts from the dealership, cost me under 10$ suprisingly and fixed it today, was a real pain in the ass, but that's all it was, thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: s13 tail light/brake lights problems.