Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

S13 KA24DE - No Power To Dizzy

Old 04-17-2011, 01:55 PM
YANKYMATE!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft
Exclamation S13 KA24DE - No Power To Dizzy

I own a 1990 S13 Coupe that the had a 1993 KA24DE swapped in by a previous owner. I blew that motor, so I recently finished swapping in a 1996 KA24DE, and it started yesterday with no issues. I drove it around the block, not a problem, but I noticed that my radio wasn't working.

I pulled it out and began to check and replace all the connections, some of which bypass the radio plug and tap directly into the car's wiring harness, namely the ignition and ground wires. I had the key turned to ACC (fucking stupid, I know) which I fiddled with the radio so I would know as soon as I had it right, and it ended up being a loose ground connection, but I'm worried that I might have touched the ground and ignition wires on the harness together.

I got it all back together, radio works fine, then I turn the key, and the car cranks and cranks and cranks but won't catch. I pull a spark plug to see if its sparking. Nope. I pull the dizzy-to-coil wire. No spark.

I fiddle with the battery leads, and eventually when I try to turn the car over, the EGM relay begins to click rapidly. I replace it. No more clicking, but the car still won't catch.

So now I think I'm fucked. There were no sparks, no smoke, no smell of burning electronics, but I'm terrified that I might have fried my ECU by leaving the key on ACC (stupidstupidstupid).

Anybody have any ideas? I'm in crisis mode now...
Old 04-17-2011, 05:08 PM
YANKYMATE!

Default Re: S13 KA24DE - No Power To Dizzy

Okay, I checked the grounds to the engine, and they're all good.

I used a meter to measure the power to the coil, and both the plugs are receiving around 12 volts when the key is on accessory, so power is getting to the coil. I also noticed that there was a fork-style connector on the base of the coil that wasn't connected to the wiring harness connector.

Does this sound right? Should there be power getting to the coil at all times? Should I just have to replace the coil? Or is the ECU still damaged?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:36 PM
YANKYMATE!

I need to borrow a early S13 KA24DE ignition coil and ECU. Anybody willing to lemme yank one out of your car just so I can identify my problem? I'll buy ya lunch
Old 04-18-2011, 04:34 AM
Registered Member

hottscennessey has a spectacular aura abouthottscennessey has a spectacular aura abouthottscennessey has a spectacular aura about

I'm sure you did, but I figured I'd ask.. did you check all fuses and fusible links?

Once you double check that, when you put the key in the on position can you hear the fuel pump prime?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:42 AM
YANKYMATE!

Fuses are all good, fuel pump primes and you can hear it pressurize the rail.

I've got 12 volts going to the Ignition Coil, nothing coming out, so I'm ordering a replacement now. I hope that's all it is.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:18 PM
YANKYMATE!

I set the ECU into diagnostic mode today, and the it cooperated with the light blinking and all, which I guess rules out a fried ECU.

After cranking the car and setting the key to ON, but without the engine running, the ECU blinks and reads 11 (Crank Angle Sensor Circuit), 21 (Ignition Signal Circuit), and 34 (Detonation Sensor Circuit).

Any ideas?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

hottscennessey has a spectacular aura abouthottscennessey has a spectacular aura abouthottscennessey has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lbs_ft
I set the ECU into diagnostic mode today, and the it cooperated with the light blinking and all, which I guess rules out a fried ECU.

After cranking the car and setting the key to ON, but without the engine running, the ECU blinks and reads 11 (Crank Angle Sensor Circuit), 21 (Ignition Signal Circuit), and 34 (Detonation Sensor Circuit).

Any ideas?
Code 34 is going to be from your disconnected knock sensor in your last thread

I'm curious about code 21, I'd like to see if it comes back after you re-set your ECU, or if it was just caused by the radio incident.

Unfortunately, you might need to borrow someone's working distributor in order to test for the code 11, there is always the possibility the circuit for the CAS is fried in the ECU. I see this a lot when I repair Nissan ECU's, as there is no protection when the ECU has a transistor "open" and there is a short causing 12 volts to enter that circuit. If the code 11 goes away with a different distributor, replace it. If not, you likely have a component burnt internally in the ECU (this could also be the case for code 21).
Old 04-19-2011, 06:43 AM
YANKYMATE!

Today I'm yanking the ECU apart to look for a burned motherboard. I reset it and those same 3 codes reappear. I replaced the knock sensor yesterday, and I can guarantee its working fine and all my connections are good. I don't know about the other codes, but I have an S13 KA24DE distributor, so the coil is seperated from the distributor by a wire, not contained within. I know that power is getting to the coil, 12 volts, but nothing is coming out.

I don't have anyone to swap parts with, whether it be an ECU, coil, distributor, whatever.

I'm thinking I might've fried something in the ECU, but there's no way to know for sure until I pull it after work.

Do you know of any way to check the resistance in the coil?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by lbs_ft
Today I'm yanking the ECU apart to look for a burned motherboard. I reset it and those same 3 codes reappear. I replaced the knock sensor yesterday, and I can guarantee its working fine and all my connections are good. I don't know about the other codes, but I have an S13 KA24DE distributor, so the coil is seperated from the distributor by a wire, not contained within. I know that power is getting to the coil, 12 volts, but nothing is coming out.

I don't have anyone to swap parts with, whether it be an ECU, coil, distributor, whatever.

I'm thinking I might've fried something in the ECU, but there's no way to know for sure until I pull it after work.

Do you know of any way to check the resistance in the coil?
If the harness connectors match up, you could always test for the CAS code with the S13 distributor, just leave the coil disconnected. Both S13 and S14 CAS's have the same number of slots in the wheel.

to check coil:
Prior to testing the coil, perform a secondary spark test. If spark occurs at the spark plug, the coil is functioning properly.

Turn the ignition OFF.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Perform a visual inspection of the coil. If the coil is cracked, damaged or oil is leaking from the coil, the coil is faulty.

Label and disconnect the electrical harness from the ignition coil.

Inspect the harness connector and ignition coil terminals for dirt, corrosion or damage. Repair as necessary.

Using an ohmmeter, measure coil primary resistance between the ignition coil terminals. Resistance should be approximately 1 ohm @ 68°F (10°C).

Measure coil secondary resistance between the ignition coil terminals and the distributor cap high tension lead terminals. Resistance should be approximately 10 kilohms @ 68°F (10°C) on Altima and 10 kilohms @ 68°F (10°C) on 240SX.

If resistance is not within specification, the coil may be faulty.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 AM
YANKYMATE!

Originally Posted by hottscennessey
If the harness connectors match up, you could always test for the CAS code with the S13 distributor, just leave the coil disconnected. Both S13 and S14 CAS's have the same number of slots in the wheel.
What's a CAS code? haha and what do you mean about slots in the wheel?

I'll test the resistance for the coil asap

Quick Reply: S13 KA24DE - No Power To Dizzy