Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

s13 240sx no startup

Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg
Default s13 240sx no startup

Vehicle is a 1990 240sx, KA24DE. stock.

It has been running fine since i got it, until yesterday when i started it up to move it, and it just shut off 2 seconds later. Now it will not start. Engine turns over fine, but it is not getting spark. It had an MSD blaster coil from a previous owner.

I've tried a new dizzy cap/rotor/coil

Looking through the fuses and relays, i noticed the under hood ENG CONT 25A was blown. I swapped it with the good 25A next to it for headlight motor, still no start up.

Upon further looking into it, i cannot hear my fuel pump priming, and don't hear the main relay click.

So what would cause it to cut signal for fuel and spark out of no where?

any and all help is greatly appreciated, this was my DD until now
Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: s13 240sx no startup

A failure of a component can cause the fuse to blow, and the failed component might not draw any current after failure (I guess a light bulb is a good example of this). So replacing a fuse won't necessarily fix anything, because the failed component is still failed.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered member

sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
A failure of a component can cause the fuse to blow, and the failed component might not draw any current after failure (I guess a light bulb is a good example of this). So replacing a fuse won't necessarily fix anything, because the failed component is still failed.
That makes sense, i've been looking at it more and i think it's either the main relay, the crank angle sensor, or the ecu that went bad and causing it to not spark or turn on the fuel pump. The engine control fuse sounds like it would blow after a short or malfunction in one of these main wiring/sensor

Ive checked the grounds and ignition wires and all that is still intact
Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Registered member

Now SOMEtimes the fuel pump primes when i turn the key, but i guess it still isn't getting any spark because it has yet to start. This one is really frustrating me

The light on the ecu is on
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 PM
I H8 MY CAR

FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx

Did you check all the fuses to make sure nothing else is blown? You got 2 fuse boxes in the engine bay and another inside the driverside kick panel...
Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by FLiPrayZin240sx
Did you check all the fuses to make sure nothing else is blown? You got 2 fuse boxes in the engine bay and another inside the driverside kick panel...
Yes, i've checked every fuse in all 3 fuse boxes nothing else is blown
Old 10-23-2012, 03:34 AM
Registered Member

Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker

Check your grounds for a loose one. Intermittent fuel pump sounds like something isn't plugged in properly or loose. But no spark is usually something in the distro.

Why was the motor swapped to a DE? 90s came with the single slammer from factory. I would be double checking the wiring job as there are minor differences in chassis electrical between the earlier S13s and the 91+ models.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:23 AM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

Grab the FSM and start troubleshooting the electrical signal to the dizzy
Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 AM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

here ya go:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/240sx-fsm...e-t311075.html
Old 10-24-2012, 05:57 AM
Registered member

update: Found some hacked up wiring in the harness by the ecu, connected them all back. That is what probably shorted and blew the fuse. Fuel pump comes on now, still no spark

Originally Posted by Hijacker
Check your grounds for a loose one. Intermittent fuel pump sounds like something isn't plugged in properly or loose. But no spark is usually something in the distro.

Why was the motor swapped to a DE? 90s came with the single slammer from factory. I would be double checking the wiring job as there are minor differences in chassis electrical between the earlier S13s and the 91+ models.
all grounds are good. i know they came with the single cam, the previous owner did the swap so i'm not sure what might have been bs'ed. Seeing a lot of zip ties haha..

Quick Reply: s13 240sx no startup