Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Rx7 Help Needed!

Old 04-06-2003, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma
Default Rx7 Help Needed!

engine has like 130xxx miles and i think the comp. is out...wont start...i think it needs a rebuild but its for a friend so i dont know for sure...its a 90-91...any help with a rebuild...parts...or labor is appreciated. =]
Old 04-07-2003, 04:50 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

pour some transmission fluid down the throttle body. it will start but smoke for a while. see how that does.

it does sound like it could at least need new seals
Old 04-07-2003, 06:49 AM
200HP/L

Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi

Turbo or non turbo?

Check compression (vauge, but useful)
-Remove the schrader valve from your typical piston compression gauge.
-Remove both fuses for EFI and ignition.
-Remove top plug (trailing) from the rotor you will be testing.
-Have someone turn the motor over and watch the gauge...it WILL be hard to read, but what your looking for is EVEN bounces.
-Getting no bounces or uneven bounces or LOW bounces (-50psi) you've dropped a seal (apex, side, corner).
-Getting even bounces on both rotors, you need to start looking elsewhere in the engine for the problem.

Second step is to make sure that IT IS NOT FLOODED. Pouring ATF into the throttle body would be a pain, instead get some tubing and pour 2 cycle oil into the chamber via the trailing spark plug hole. The reason we do this is sometimes with leaking injectors, gasoline gets past the injectors due to the leaking of gasoline from the pressure left in the line. That leak of gasoline will wash away the oil that is around the housing that gets injected by the MOP (metering oil pump)...it helps seal and create a nice compressable chamber. Another cause of this flooding is starting the car, moving it in a driveway and shutting it down before it reaches operating temps.

So. Check compression first. Then get back to me. It could SERIOUSLY be a number of things besides the motor.

Last edited by Josepi; 04-07-2003 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Just a note, the top spark plugs are the trailing and the bottoms are the leads.
I've never had a starting problem with a 89-91 Turbo2. Try all the simple solutions first. Try unflooding the motor, pull the EFI fuse and crank the motor for a bit. Then, try starting the car normally. Next do the ATF trick, then if all that doesn't work... rebuild time.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:29 PM
200HP/L

Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi

Originally posted by FastX7
Just a note, the top spark plugs are the trailing and the bottoms are the leads.
I've never had a starting problem with a 89-91 Turbo2. Try all the simple solutions first. Try unflooding the motor, pull the EFI fuse and crank the motor for a bit. Then, try starting the car normally. Next do the ATF trick, then if all that doesn't work... rebuild time.
Thanks for the clarification...misinformation is what you get from me on a hungover low sleep day.

Old 04-07-2003, 06:55 PM
Non-Driving Fuck

HondaAdict is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmm
Old 04-10-2003, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

BoOsted is an unknown quantity at this point

just take it to WIll at AutoSolution. he is the self proclaimed rotory god around these parts. their number is 306-8686.

Hell if worst comes to worest and you need new seals he can do all that there instead of having to have it sent off like all other places do.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:14 AM
Just a 1.3 Liter

GreyGT-C is an unknown quantity at this point

self proclaimed is right....i've seen the quality of work that he does. if you want it worked on by someone that knows what they are doing, contact me and i'll put you in touch with Randy Martin. He was building rotaries when will was in diapers.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

BoOsted is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by GreyGT-C
self proclaimed is right....i've seen the quality of work that he does. if you want it worked on by someone that knows what they are doing, contact me and i'll put you in touch with Randy Martin. He was building rotaries when will was in diapers.

I said that as a joke. hes not concided like that.

And what are trying to say with "i've seen his quailty of work"! Have you ever seen his personal car, or just the cars he has worked on that dont look great b/c of the owners poor maintance and not him.

no beef, just if you are going to flame someone you need to have details and spec. examples so that good names dont end up being slandered.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:23 AM
Just a 1.3 Liter

GreyGT-C is an unknown quantity at this point

i know will...i've seen work that he has done on his own car. unless he has changed drastically, he still half-asses everything