Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

rsx wont hold idle!!!! plz help :(

Old 08-09-2014, 04:22 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Born-Sinner has disabled reputation
Default Re: rsx wont hold idle!!!! plz help :(

Those tight ones are probably part of the issue. Like I said, top of the diag would be to adjust the valves. Then I would check voltage to the coils. After 100k if you had one coil go bad it is almost likely the rest will follow so I'd make replacing them a priority at some point. I do understand coil packs cost a bit. Swap ecu's after you check for voltage to the coils.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The valves are not the problem... They would have to be really badly out of adjustment to even approach this kind of behavior.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Registered member

Born-Sinner has disabled reputation

I'd recommend adjusting the valves and while the cover is off check the timing. At this point you have to begin eliminating things. I am starting with the least expensive way. Yeah you could throw in all new coils but that is expensive and at the end it may could just be the coils since he did mention he replaced the iac valve. I will leave it to his discretion on what he wants to do. I am only here to offer my knowledge. In reality it is true the valves would need to be pretty far off specification but it only takes one valve to be a bit too tight to cause a misfire/idle hesitation during cold start up.

Last edited by Born-Sinner; 08-09-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

CharlieSheenDc5 has disabled reputation

yea im going to adjust the valves just because im passed 100k miles and im sure she would love and adjustment. but im pretty sure as fabrik8 stated its probably not my valves because from what i checked they dont seem that out of wack and my cams rotate very smoothly, im going to check my coil wires, voltage, and plug in a new ecu and see how she runs!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:43 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If the OBD2 scanner you have can read out any real time sensor values, that would be a good sanity check to see if the coolant temp, MAP, TPS, etc., are giving normal values. Depends on what type of scanner you have obviously.