VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   rsx wont hold idle!!!! plz help :( (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/rsx-wont-hold-idle-plz-help-485641/)

CharlieSheenDc5 08-05-2014 12:00 PM

rsx wont hold idle!!!! plz help :(

i recently bought an 04 rsx type s and it ran flawlessly when i bought it, still runs flawless once driving. but will not hold and idle to save its life and when it does hold idle it misfires in all four cyclenders. also seems like its sucking in massive amounts of air now at idle? didnt sound like that when i bought it. the car is throwing codes. fuel air mixture to rich. and misfire/random misfire. car came with borla exhaust and k&n typhoon air intake. ive replace iacv on throttle body and have clean it twice. please help. im not sure what to do. i dont want to take it to dealership because i know they will rape me in the ass and it cant be anything major.i literally baby my car and only has 115,000 miles.:(:(:mad:

boostjunkie 08-05-2014 01:12 PM

Re: rsx wont hold idle!!!! plz help :(

so it has a fault for misfires, how do the plugs look?

im guessing that it has a check engine light on, and that the fault is for misfires as youve stated, but you need to provide more information there bud.

Fabrik8 08-05-2014 02:22 PM

If it's running rich, and sucking in too much air, it's going to idle really high. More air plus more fuel equals more power than you need at idle. Therefore I think it's not too much air. The air would need some way to bypass the throttle body, etc., which would only get worse if you made the IACV sparkly clean.

So I think you have another problem, likely a TPS or MAP sensor. The O2 sensor is always a good candidate too, but it won't run closed-loop idle with the O2 sensor so that's not a great candidate. An O2 sensor would affect more than just idle though. TPS and MAP sensors can have bad spots in their sensing range, so they may sense poorly at one point and not another.
It's also possible that you have a problem with the sensor power from the ECU.
You should find instructions for testing the TPS and MAP, and if they test fine then you can move onto other things.

Oh, and coolant temp sensor.

CharlieSheenDc5 08-05-2014 04:13 PM

spark plugs are new. i put new ngk ir when i bought the car and i've frequently cleaned the plugs since this issue came about. im sure all my sensors are fine and its running to rich im sure because it floods and i have to clear out the cylinders before it will re crank but i will post codes comming up on my ob2 reader. im thinking about getting kpro and a good tune because i do have an exhaust and intake. someone was saying something about my car not being tuned for my bolt ons? idk he sounded legit.

Fabrik8 08-05-2014 05:06 PM

An intake and exhaust isn't going to make it run as poorly as you're describing, and that doesn't explain why it was running fine when you got it. A tune is always a good idea when you have any engine mods, but it's not going to solve what's wrong with it right now.

ej1995 08-05-2014 05:39 PM

Post actual code numbers...

BAN HAMMER 08-06-2014 05:27 AM

Do you have an intake MANIFOLD or just an intake tube? More specific answers.

I'm going to put my bet on the TPS sensor.. and you cant be "sure all your sensors are fine" if you car is running like shit now can you?

Born-Sinner 08-06-2014 10:19 AM

You replaced plugs and misfire codes are still present? If so check your coil packs. Also when were the valves last adjusted? If never, let that be the first thing you do.

CharlieSheenDc5 08-06-2014 10:46 AM

Wouldn't it throw codes if my sensors were bad? Also I've replaced one new coil pack and I still get misfire no matter what cylinder I put it in. I'm tired of buying new parts that don't help the problem at all. And I haven't adjusted the valves since I've bought. Sounds like a good idea. And I have intake manifold not sure about intake tube? I will post video link and codes here shortly to give y'all a better idea of why my bby is acting like this.

Born-Sinner 08-06-2014 11:33 AM

Where are you located? Have you checked the gap specifications on the plugs although they could have came pre-gapped. Post codes it will help me help you. You should still go ahead and adjust the valves, many fail to do this and it is an easy job.