Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

rsx type r ecu?

Old 08-04-2003, 09:01 AM
Wanna buy a honda?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Precise RSX-S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rsx type r ecu?

what difference would a type r ecu make on an rsx type s? is it worth getting or is it not that big of a deal. also what about a type r intake manifold?
Old 08-04-2003, 09:14 AM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

id like to assume that it isnt worth the cost. assuming its like the difference between the dc2 itr and gsr here in the states...a simple ecu swap would not work well. ie different compression, different redline, probably alot more different than you think.

not sure about the intake manifold either. but again...probably not worth the cost. FACT: intake/exhaust/ hondata with phenolic spacers will give you the same hp as a stock dc5r. ~220 crank
Old 08-04-2003, 09:45 AM
My President's black

MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait MI4nKuwait

the ITR runs higher octane fuel so unless you are going to run some 100 octane like in japan..dont get it..get the hondata reflash..thats next on my list.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Wanna buy a honda?

thanks for the info guys. where's a good place to get the hondata? and also i keep seeing people like on the clubrsx forum with hondata #4. is there a lot of different ones available for the rsx.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

www.hondata.com

do some research there and clubrsx.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:41 AM
It's Duck Season

JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub

Some more options for you to consider:

The hondata flash is what many rsx owners claim to be the best mod for the money. When you purchase the hondata flash you're going to be sending your ecu, key, and immobilizer to hondata. You will also fill out a form that describes what mods you currently have. Hondata will flash your ecu to fit the current mods you have.

The ecu is going to eliminate the dip in your powerband. It will also change your vtec engagement from 5600rpm to 5200rpm (reccomended with an aftermarket intake), and your redline will be raised from 7900rpm to 8600rpm.

I don't know what you have planned for your car. But if you're planning on turbo, or nitrous then forget about the hondata flash right now. Hondata did say that they are in the process of making a hondata turbo program.

If your plans are n/a then hondata should be the last thing you purchase in my opinion.

The only other option would be if you're planning on changing your cams. Toda offers a package that comes with their toda spec a cams, toda valve springs, and a toda ECU. The ECU program uses special fuel and ignition timing maps, 9000rpm redline, modified VTEC Activation, and modified VVT camshaft timing. Because all parameters are optimized through this special ECU program, dyno tuning of the Engine Kit is not required.

hope this helps.

and if you buy the flash, go through clubrsx.com
Old 08-04-2003, 11:44 AM
It's Duck Season

Attached Thumbnails rsx type r ecu?-tr-fep.jpg  
Old 08-05-2003, 07:09 AM
Wanna buy a honda?

thanx nighthawk. i finally got off my lazy butt and followed everyone's advice and did my research. i agree with you about doing the hondata last because of all the mods available for the car. as far as the toda racing kit... well lets just say that is out of my league right now. ha ha. 2300 dollars, geez talk about bankrupt. they reprogram your ecu as well; would i even need the hondata? i just bought 4-2-1 dc sport header (ceramic). next on my list will be to get an intake manifold and a hondata gasket. i think when i have that in place then i will get the clubrsx hondata. not ready for the toda racing kit yet. also , what do u think about the aem true pwr pulley kit. is that worth getting? thanks for the help ppl
Old 08-05-2003, 07:10 AM
Wanna buy a honda?

oh yeah , also what about the aem fuel rails?
Old 08-05-2003, 09:56 AM
It's Duck Season

If you did go with the toda, then you wouldnt need the hondata program. In the dyno testing that I read about with the dc sports products, they had some pretty decent gains. Only thing is that they netted a 20hp gain or so when they combined the intake, header, and exhaust. IMO send the header back, and buy the Jackson Racing header. 20+hp for $600. Compared to maybe 20hp for over a grand. I would suggest the Comptech header but it doesnt pass smog testing and eliminates the cat, plus it runs for $900+. I havent really seen anyone or heard of anyone with the aem pulley kit. It's supposedly a bitch to install too. Again IMO dont mess with the pulley kit. As far as the fuel rail, more air, and more fuel = more power. I can see somewhat of a gain coming from it, but I would put it off until later.

Intake, header, exhaust, ecu, and cams should put you around 220-230hp. I would say thats pretty impressive considering most stock rsx dyno's are coming out around 165hp.

And if you're trying to go fast, better put the stock 16's on with some better rubber. Those 19's arent going to get you anywhere fast.

Best of luck with your car.

Last edited by JBub; 08-05-2003 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: rsx type r ecu?