Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

to replace f-23 motor or not to replace dat is da ?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ol dirty has disabled reputation
Lightbulb to replace f-23 motor or not to replace dat is da ?

aight, here it is . i have a 98 accord ex with an f-23 motor. i jus got finished payin somebody to replace my tranny foe 2,000 bucks. now not even 200 miles later the friggin timing belt broke. i have it towed back to him he replaces timing belt ,water pump, n tensioner belt. then when i go to pick it up he says oh yeah this is a zero clearance motor and it bent sum valves when it broke. it would b cheaper if u buy a used motor from woodfin n put it in. i jus wanna know if that sounds about right? should i look at buyin a used motor or jus try and find a used head. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Classified Moderator

Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby
Default Re: to replace f-23 motor or not to replace dat is da ?

So do you know for a fact that any of the valves broke/bent?
Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 AM
BNB MOTORWORX

tegboy757 tegboy757 tegboy757 tegboy757 tegboy757 tegboy757 tegboy757 tegboy757 tegboy757 tegboy757 tegboy757

+1 Id check to see if the valves are actually bent your mech should have checked that before buyin new parts. But if you do have some bent valves you should be ok with just swapping the head.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Translation for those who respect english as a language;

So here’s my dilemma:
I have a ’98 Accord EX with an F-23 engine. I just finished paying someone to replace my transmission for $2,000. Not even 200 miles later, the frigging timing belt broke. I had it towed back to him and he replaced the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner. When I went back to pick it up he said “Oh yeah, this is a zero-clearance engine and it bent some valves when the belt snapped. It would be cheaper if you buy a used engine from Woodfin and put it in.” I just want to know if that sounds about right? Should I look at buying a used motor or just try and find a used head? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
To answer your question –

Are you sure you trust a mechanic who didn’t think to bring up the issue of it being an interference motor prior to replacing the timing belt? I’m assuming that since he replaced those components and tried to start it, he discovered it wouldn’t run. This would suggest that either he didn’t set the timing right or the valves are indeed shit; I’m leaning toward the latter. Did he warn you of the possibility of the valves being bent? I would do the following - Take the current head off and inspect the pistons for damage. If there isn’t any then procure a used/remanufactured head. However, if there is significant damage, then a replacement engine would be the other option. A used F23 engine is going to cost a lot more than to just replace the head so unless there were other issues with the engine, it would be in your financial interest to go with the head option. However, if you get a used head, do basic service to it like replacing the valve seals (probably around $100). Also be sure to get new head bolts as they are torque to yield. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:29 AM
supermoto or bust

Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones

Time for a H22!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

ol dirty has disabled reputation

Thanks for the quick replys. Yes i agree the mechanic probably could have handled it differently. Either way the new parts are on a broke motor. th mechanic said he did a compression test and said the #3 cylinder only had 40 psi. i am pretty sure the valves are bent because it is very hard to start and i notice a substantial loss of power when i drove it home. do you all think that a backyard mechanic is capable of removing the head and inspecting the piston and cylinder walls. i am contemplating just buying a repair manual and trying it myself. i mean what the heck it is already broken. thanks again for all the replys.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 AM
repping that gR

WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3

build the bottom end and get a h22 head on there and your golden.

edit- why does your name have to be ol dirty and from newport news........
Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 AM
repping that gR

WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Translation for those who respect english as a language;

To answer your question –

Are you sure you trust a mechanic who didn’t think to bring up the issue of it being an interference motor prior to replacing the timing belt? I’m assuming that since he replaced those components and tried to start it, he discovered it wouldn’t run. This would suggest that either he didn’t set the timing right or the valves are indeed shit; I’m leaning toward the latter. Did he warn you of the possibility of the valves being bent? I would do the following - Take the current head off and inspect the pistons for damage. If there isn’t any then procure a used/remanufactured head. However, if there is significant damage, then a replacement engine would be the other option. A used F23 engine is going to cost a lot more than to just replace the head so unless there were other issues with the engine, it would be in your financial interest to go with the head option. However, if you get a used head, do basic service to it like replacing the valve seals (probably around $100). Also be sure to get new head bolts as they are torque to yield. Good luck.
f23 bottom ends go for like 75-100.