Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Repairing threads on an O2 sensor?

Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 AM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Repairing threads on an O2 sensor?

Anybody know of a tool to repair the threads on an O2 sensor after they've become mushed up? I can find dies, but none with the right thread/pitch for an O2 sensor. Am I stuck buying a new one? If it matters, this is for my handheld wideband.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 AM
fuckin smart

Mortal_Meerkat Mortal_Meerkat Mortal_Meerkat Mortal_Meerkat Mortal_Meerkat Mortal_Meerkat Mortal_Meerkat Mortal_Meerkat Mortal_Meerkat Mortal_Meerkat Mortal_Meerkat
Default Re: Repairing threads on an O2 sensor?

how much is a new one? it might save you the headache to just buy a new one and not bother looking for a way to repair the old one.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You can try a thread file. You should be able to find the pitch you need, and the diameter doesn't matter because it's a file. Really though, if the threads have anything worse than minor damage, a new O2 sensor is probably the way to go.

This is one style, it's just an image from Google:

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-20-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:02 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Mortal_Meerkat
how much is a new one? it might save you the headache to just buy a new one and not bother looking for a way to repair the old one.
75 bucks, which isn't a lot but isn't cheap either.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:00 PM

99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute

first question you should ask yourself is how old is the sensor the wideband sensors have a lifespan could be getting lazy i replace my own at least every year 6 months at the latest if it sees race gas they tend to get a little lazy.

if its newish and hasn't seen too much leaded fuel then go ahead and fix it probably won't be perfect and its going to be a bit more sensitive to over tightening it but it will work i think the thread bitch is 18x1.5 if memory serves me correctly, track down any tool truck snap on, matco, mac, or cornwell and ask them for o2 sensor tap and die they are quite cheap about 10 bucks (don't quote me) its quite common to ask for so they should have them on the truck.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Is in ur head, why?

crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness

http://www.amazon.com/18mm-1-5-Carbo.../dp/B0007CNJ2C
Old 03-26-2011, 02:43 AM
ATGATT

Cool deal. For some reason when I looked I kept coming up with brands that sell every size but 18x1.5.

Also, since this is just a handheld unit that only goes in every now and then, wouldn't it take a very long time before it becomes inaccurate, or do they just get inaccurate over time?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:42 AM

99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute

you should be fine if its being used that little the ones i have are in cars in the stream of the exhaust constantly so the use it sounds like you get out of yours i wouldn't worry about it just thought i would throw that out there since i had no clue how much you use it.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you're not using it very much, it will last for a long time. If you use it with leaded gas, you'll destroy it pretty quickly. Don't leave the O2 sensor in the exhaust unless you've got the controlled hooked up to it, because the O2 sensor can be damaged.

So Snap-On sells a tap and die set for $10? That's not a bad price for both pieces with a Snap-On markup.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 PM

no no not the set i'm sorry they are about 10 bucks each and they arn't snap on its hansen irwin lawsen whoever they have on the truck honestly for the amount i use those die's a cheap one you will do fine, but for a chaser in the bung itself i have a snap on and a cheap one.