Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

remote starter help needed ASAP

Old 01-22-2005, 08:03 AM
mikealis//fscrew.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mikealis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default remote starter help needed ASAP

Ok i have a 98 sunfire sedan...and i am installing an alarm / remote starter. I am now at the point where I need to re-set the theft system, because my car will not start. I was told to turn the key to the ON position (not start) and the theft light would flash for 10 mins and then stop and the car should start. Well that is not working and my car will not start, can anyone help?
Old 01-22-2005, 09:38 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: remote starter help needed ASAP

did you install the correct resistor?

it is VERY easy to get the reading wrong or do the wrong value.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

axis45 has disabled reputation

did you install a bypass module? older gm cars with VATS used a resistor in the key as a theft deterent, you have a 98 so you have PASS-KEY theft deterent which is a hall effect switch in the ignition cylinder. you must use a bypass module to duplicate the signal from the sensor in the ignition cylinder. if you have incorectly installed the bypass module so the computer cant read the signal from the sensor, your car wont start with the key or when remote started. when a fault is detected the theft light flashes and the engine is disabled. it will reset after 10 min but if the fault still exists it will resume theft-mode and the car will not start. check your connections on your bypass module if you have it. if you try to remote start the car without it, you will activate the theft system and the car will not start until the 10min wait is over.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:19 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

GM's used a PATS.....

i do believe his is a PASSKEY-II or III system. thats why you gotta get the right resistance reading, and set the dip switches right.

but i presume this dude has no clue what was going on, hence the lack of replies
Old 02-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

axis45 has disabled reputation

i agree. those theft systems can be a pain, guess its best to leave them to the pros, or at least somebody experienced with them