Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

rebuild for supercharger???

Old 12-25-2006, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lutex1 has disabled reputation
Default rebuild for supercharger???

i just got a 94 civic ex and i want to rebuild it and put a jackson racing supercharger in it, but since i am knida new to the honda world i got some questions....the car has 180XXX

1-Cost to rebuild a D16 to handle 8 psi of boost???
2-Where should i go to rebuild it???
3-Where is the best place to tune it after the supercharger is in???
Old 12-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: rebuild for supercharger???

Rebuilding to stock spec will handle 8 PSI on a D16Z6. The Jackson Racing superchargers are meant to be bolted on to a stock engine without any problems. Unfortunately that also means you're limited to 8 PSI worth of power output. You have a P28 ECU with that car, which is very tuneable with Crome, Hondata, etc., and just needs a few basic mods to allow it to be tuned. Get a set of larger injectors if you need (I don't remember if the stock ones can flow enough for the extra power) and get it tuned, DON'T use whatever ghetto fuel management the supercharger comes with (like a rising rate fuel pressure regulator).

If you really want to rebuild it, do just the basics such as head gasket, rings, valve lap, etc. Just get it back to stock sealing capacity, don't worry about building for power. I'd just slap the supercharger on and have fun though, you aren't going to hurt anything with it and you can rebuild it later..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-25-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:57 AM

nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo

my friend ran a JRSC with 130xxx on his D16Z6 and never once had a problem with it, infact, car has 150xxx on the motor and still has the supercharger on it with zero problems. Hasnt had to rebuild the motor yet. Only problem i think is the head gasket might be going because it smokes a little when he gets on it.

but other than that, his runs excellent
Old 12-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

i just figured i got the money right now so i might as well rebuild the engine and make it a little stronger before putting the supercharger on it
Old 12-25-2006, 12:05 PM

nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo

Originally Posted by lutex1
i just figured i got the money right now so i might as well rebuild the engine and make it a little stronger before putting the supercharger on it
definitley.

if you have the money, even consider possibly lower compression pistons
Old 12-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You won't need lower compression pistons for that low boost level, and it will cause you to lose power all around. I'd always try to run the highest safe compression for the amount of boost you're using. If you'll be getting the upgrade (smaller diameter) pulley for higher boost, then you may need a slight bit lower compression, but not much (if at all)...

The lower the compression, the lower the cylinder pressure for the same amount of boost, so the lower the power. This is why low compression, high boost-capable cars are dogs when the turbo isn't spooled, and also the reason why high compression race engines can make great power not using forced induction. SO don't just jump into lowering the compression a bunch when you're only going to be going 10-12 PSI with that supercharger. A lot of your safety margin against detonation is in the tuning, not the low compression.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

I'd listen to Fabrik8 on this one. In fact if the motor has good compression and doesn't burn oil then throw the supercharger on there.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

the engine has good compression and doesn't burn any oil but at 180XXX miles i just don't wanna slap the JRSC on there and have it blow out on me in the next 5K miles and then rebuild it...you know start from the ground up, get the engine rebuilt, new clutch to handle the extra power along with an LSD, and then the supercharger....and yes i will have it tuned as soon as the JRSC is installed.....but nobody has answered my questions as far as HOW MUCH AM I LOOKING AS FAR AS COST FOR REBUILD???? and WHAT SHOP (i know there is a bunch here) WILL GIVE ME AN HONEST PRICE AND DO QUALITY WORK AS WELL AS TUNE IT WHEN IT IS DONE????
Old 12-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Registered Baller

Zimzallabim is an unknown quantity at this point

ross can
Old 12-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

and who is ross???? and how can i get a hold of him????

Quick Reply: rebuild for supercharger???