Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Rear LCA Strut Bolt head broke off

Old 11-07-2010, 05:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty
Default Rear LCA Strut Bolt head broke off

Any one have any ideas on how to take the bolt out of the lca strut bushing. THe head on the bolt broke up as i was taking it off and the bolt is still there just the head of it broke off. Its a 2000 Civic Ex
Old 11-07-2010, 05:23 AM
Registered Member

WheelPowerRacin has disabled reputation
Default Re: Rear LCA Strut Bolt head broke off

My experience is with EG civics, where I've done this 10-12 times. So everything from here on is hopefully the same for your model. On the EG's the trick is to remove the shock and the entire LCA. If you have access to a drill press and are very lucky, you can drill out the broken bolt and save the bushing. But most times the rubber bushing flexes enough where even with the drill press the bit wont follow the bolt/hole and the bushing gets ruined. Then I generally take a 4" grinder with a new cut off disc and cut the bushing out by cutting both sides level with the lca. Then you will have to press out the old bushing and press in a new one. The bolt siezes to the bushing, not the threads, so generally you can back out the bolt from the shock nut with vice grips or a reverse (left hand) drill bit. I actually keep EG bushings/shock bolts in stock and a rebuilt set of LCA's on hand as this problem is so common with that model. Coat the new bolt with anti-sieze before installing to prevent future issues.

Last edited by WheelPowerRacin; 11-07-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:02 AM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

Originally Posted by WheelPowerRacin
My experience is with EG civics, where I've done this 10-12 times. So everything from here on is hopefully the same for your model. On the EG's the trick is to remove the shock and the entire LCA. If you have access to a drill press and are very lucky, you can drill out the broken bolt and save the bushing. But most times the rubber bushing flexes enough where even with the drill press the bit wont follow the bolt/hole and the bushing gets ruined. Then I generally take a 4" grinder with a new cut off disc and cut the bushing out by cutting both sides level with the lca. Then you will have to press out the old bushing and press in a new one. The bolt siezes to the bushing, not the threads, so generally you can back out the bolt from the shock nut with vice grips or a reverse (left hand) drill bit. I actually keep EG bushings/shock bolts in stock and a rebuilt set of LCA's on hand as this problem is so common with that model. Coat the new bolt with anti-sieze before installing to prevent future issues.
its about as common as sunlight.

more common on northern cars.

pick yourself up a set of energy suspension rear lca bushings.

harder material eliminates some rear susp slop and are about the same price as replacement rubber.

consider doing all three on each side while you have the car in the air.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty

Originally Posted by WheelPowerRacin
thanks for the advice ima give that a shot tomorrow. if not i might jsut have to take it to a shop and havbe them take a look at it and have them do it since i dont really have a cut off disk to get to it. hopefully i can get it out the wayy and finish it up this week.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

im local if you need it done.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker

If you can't get it off to take to a press, take a corded drill with an appropriate sized bit to it.