Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

rear brakes (drum) squeak when releasing pedal if e-brake is off

Old 09-28-2013, 02:17 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default rear brakes (drum) squeak when releasing pedal if e-brake is off

Friend has a 2004 Ford Escape. It has rear drums. If the parking brake is released, you get a squeak from the drum when you release the brake pedal (but not if you release the brake pedal when the parking brake is up). I deal in european cars, so I don't know much about drum brakes. What is this?
Old 09-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.
Default Re: rear brakes (drum) squeak when releasing pedal if e-brake is off

Just pull the drum and clean them with some brake cleaner. Then scuff up the drum with some sand paper. Them adjust them to where theres very little drag.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:19 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Is this something that needs addressing, or just a harmless squeak?
Old 09-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Did you pull the drum off to make sure the shoes didnt come apart. Most of the time they just squeal frpm being out of adjustment and dust build up.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The squeal is probably just the pads releasing from the drum and the drum rotating slightly at the same time. If the e-brake is engaged, the drum can't rotate and therefore nothing happens when you release the brake pedal. Clean everything up, and lube the areas where the brake shoes pivot and/or contact the backing plates. This should help damp the vibration that is causing the squealing.
I really hate drum brakes. I have them for the e-brake on my Subarus inside the disc brake rotor and they're a pain to work on. I would never buy a car with them as the primary rear brakes, because it's not 1957 anymore and the world has moved on. Mostly.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:42 PM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The squeal is probably just the pads releasing from the drum and the drum rotating slightly at the same time. If the e-brake is engaged, the drum can't rotate and therefore nothing happens when you release the brake pedal. Clean everything up, and lube the areas where the brake shoes pivot and/or contact the backing plates. This should help damp the vibration that is causing the squealing.
I really hate drum brakes. I have them for the e-brake on my Subarus inside the disc brake rotor and they're a pain to work on. I would never buy a car with them as the primary rear brakes, because it's not 1957 anymore and the world has moved on. Mostly.
Lol I was about to say aren't there a few cars that still have rear drum brakes, my 02' Taurus had them.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Yep4doors
Lol I was about to say aren't there a few cars that still have rear drum brakes, my 02' Taurus had them.
They're still around, I see them all the time. Amazes me that anyone would buy a basic transportation appliance with them though. Or maybe that's the explanation....
Old 09-29-2013, 06:42 AM
Tonight... You!

07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec 07Spec

That disc and drum setup on some subies is ridiculous. Watched my friend replace everything in the rear for his 2.5RS and I just couldn't fathom why that exists lol.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by 07Spec
That disc and drum setup on some subies is ridiculous. Watched my friend replace everything in the rear for his 2.5RS and I just couldn't fathom why that exists lol.
It's a really nice setup, just a pain in the ass to do anything with. It's a true emergency brake though, not just a parking brake. There aren't any shared components, so the emergency brake doesn't share brake pads with the main rear brakes, etc. Kinda like the aftermarket brake setups that use a small separate disc caliper. That's the big benefit.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:05 AM
ATGATT

They're still around, I see them all the time. Amazes me that anyone would buy a basic transportation appliance with them though. Or maybe that's the explanation....
I think it's because most people don't know what is a drum brake and what is a disc brake.

It's a really nice setup, just a pain in the ass to do anything with. It's a true emergency brake though, not just a parking brake. There aren't any shared components, so the emergency brake doesn't share brake pads with the main rear brakes, etc. Kinda like the aftermarket brake setups that use a small separate disc caliper. That's the big benefit.
Every BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes I've worked on had that setup. I didn't realize there was anything else for 4 wheel discs. I never found it hard to work on though.

Quick Reply: rear brakes (drum) squeak when releasing pedal if e-brake is off