Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Really wierd brake light problem: Please help

Old 06-03-2006, 05:41 PM
U LòÓk Mad !!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these parts
Default Brake lights stuck "ON" car is OFF

OK.......I just came back from getting some food, and I parked my car and turned it off as anyone normally would, and my tail lights are stuck "ON" and no I didnt leave my lights on

I went WTF!! I put back down the eBrake, put it in neutral, I stepped on the brake......I started the car back up, I turned the lights on, turned them off, put the car back in park and all that, then turned it off again, and my tail lights are still on......I unplugged the tail lights, then plugged them back in and they came back on.

I unplugged the battery waited a lil while, then plugged it back in, and the tail lights came back on what the hell?!? I IM'd a couple people about it already and no ones heard of this ever happening before, so I'm bringing it to you all LoL

its a 1990 Nissan 240SX "automatic" LoL

Last edited by CarShowz; 06-03-2006 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Title
Old 06-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Really wierd brake light problem: Please help

Sounds like the brake light switch.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Turbo VTEC-E

black6gen can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by DOHC crx VTEC
Ditto.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:55 PM
import mechanic

sucio7 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by DOHC crx VTEC
x1
Old 06-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Banned

Oh yeah, my old Jimmy used to do that, and I just kicked my brake pedal a few times just to see if the lights would go out so the battery wouldn't go dead, worked.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:09 PM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

Dude go down by your brake pedal and look around for a switch. I dont know about nissans but it shouldnt be too hard to find. There should be some way you can adjust it so your lights shut off.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if nissan is like honda, but I had the same thing, brake lights stayed on all the time. On my brake petal there is a little rubber grommet that pushed a button in on the brake light switch that. The rubber piece fell out, so there was nothing pushing the button in to shut the brake lights off. Look around you pedal assembly and see if you can see anything that looking like it might be the cause before replacing stuff.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:35 AM
U LòÓk Mad !!

CarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by SlowLS
Not sure if nissan is like honda, but I had the same thing, brake lights stayed on all the time. On my brake petal there is a little rubber grommet that pushed a button in on the brake light switch that. The rubber piece fell out, so there was nothing pushing the button in to shut the brake lights off. Look around you pedal assembly and see if you can see anything that looking like it might be the cause before replacing stuff.
hmm OK.....I was reading around on 240sx.org and they said the same thing
Now, the only problem is I dunno what it looks like, I found a rubber piece about the size of a dime in 3broken pieces, and I found another rubber piece, that's kinda shaped like a mushroom.......hopefully you know what I'm talking about, if not I'll go take pix

Thanks
Old 06-04-2006, 12:59 PM
U LòÓk Mad !!

OK thanks for the help everyone, the grommet is broken so I put a flat screw in its place so that the brake switch would have some thing to push against, but my brake lights were still on so I guess the switch itself is screwed up, I already got a new one. Looks like I need to take out the gauge sluster or the bottom half of the dash or something, so I can get into where the switch is.

I dont have the tools, so anyone wanna help? Or am I stuck with having to bring it to the dealer and getting charged some overpriced amount for them to do it?
Old 06-05-2006, 06:01 AM
Banned

Dude, It shouldn't take but like 30 minutes of your time. If your anywhere in va beach area shoot me a pm. God knows how many Brake light switches i've done.

Quick Reply: Really wierd brake light problem: Please help