Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

radiator fan: pusher or puller?

Old 04-30-2005, 11:07 AM
I <3 BOOST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceman05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default radiator fan: pusher or puller?

which configuration is best for cooling? i recently replaced my stock fan with a slim fan and its a pusher. i assume that's how the stock fan is too b/c i soldered the blue and black wires to their respective colors. anyway, id think a puller would be more effective since it doesnt have to push against the incoming air. in order to change it, i just resolder the wires to the opposite colors, right?
Old 04-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: radiator fan: pusher or puller?

Air flow is air flow, as long as you have enough flow it doesn't matter what direction it comes from. This assumes that the fan is sized correctly to make the best use of that size radiator core, etc. The fan flows the same direction, and the air flows the same direction, it just depends on what side the radiator goes on. I think you're making this a lot more complicated that it really is.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the incoming air, but if you're talking about a fan on the outside side of the radiator, blowing air toward the engine, the incoming air doesn't do anything, it just reduces the backpressure that the fan has to deal with. It's exactly the same thing with a fan on the engine bay side of the radiator, it has to deal with the pressure of the air coming through the radiator. If a fan flows air that's already moving, it just reduces the overall volume that the fan wants to move, which is fine.
As long as there is plenty of flow to do the job, it doesn't matter if it's generated by the fan or by the moving car.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-30-2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:29 PM
I <3 BOOST

Iceman05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: radiator fan: pusher or puller?

i re-read my first post, and although its confusing i was just trying to give as much info as possible. through my research ive found that fans need to be pullers if they're in the stock location and pushers if they're relocated between the radiator and bumper. thanks though!