Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Radiator fan problems 98 gt

Old 06-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boriqueño has disabled reputation
Default Radiator fan problems 98 gt

Well i was in a parking lot and then i popped my hood , and i noticed at that instant i could see my radiator fan moving mad slow. Then slower and then off. I drove home in a panic because I have had a 95 stang overheat for this same reason.
The car was in a wreck so the last owner tells me, and he rebuilt alot of things in it to fix it. Maybe he did somethign wrong? I just bought the car of him like 4 days ago and I am finding alot of hidden problems I was not told about.
Do i need a new fan? MY check engine light is already on for an 02 sensor and something esle, so atm i wouldn't know if this fan would make the check engine light go on.
Thx
Old 06-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Radiator fan problems 98 gt

No, a fan won't trigger a check engine light, there usually isn't any sense input to the ECU even if the ECU controls the fan (based on coolant temp). Check out the fan wiring before you assume that the fan itself is bad. It could be something as simple as a power or ground problem, connector corrosion, or a bad fan relay (relays can fail once they get hot, etc).
You should check the voltage at the fan connection with the fan on and with the fan off.

Oh, also check that the fan can spin freely, meaning that there isn't anything blocking the fan from turning by itself. If it's been wrecked, who knows what's bent or twisted in that area..
Old 06-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Boriqueño has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
No, a fan won't trigger a check engine light, there usually isn't any sense input to the ECU even if the ECU controls the fan (based on coolant temp). Check out the fan wiring before you assume that the fan itself is bad. It could be something as simple as a power or ground problem, connector corrosion, or a bad fan relay (relays can fail once they get hot, etc).
You should check the voltage at the fan connection with the fan on and with the fan off.

Oh, also check that the fan can spin freely, meaning that there isn't anything blocking the fan from turning by itself. If it's been wrecked, who knows what's bent or twisted in that area..
thx man. I just met some dude at the Wacky weds. and he suggested that i use liek 15V or hook it up to my radio, that what any time i turn the key it turns on.
Would u suggest these? I will make sure to see if it spins tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:50 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

Originally Posted by Boriqueño
thx man. I just met some dude at the Wacky weds. and he suggested that i use liek 15V or hook it up to my radio, that what any time i turn the key it turns on.
get it fixed correctly...no presidential solutions man....
Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Boriqueño
If you really wanted a quick fix, you could run a new relay and fuse to the battery and trigger the relay with a switch. This all assumes that the fan is actually working though. You would be much better off just troubleshooting what you have already and finding out where the problem lies. The fan circuit of most cars is usually very simple. Either the fan is controlled by a coolant temp switch, or the fan is controlled by the ECU. Either way, that control signal turns on a relay which switches the (higher current) power to the fan. There is a fuse for the fan power, usually before the relay.

It's easy to check where you have power (or don't), and if you have some voltage drop problem caused by a bad ground or corrosion. Whatever problem you have it should be fairly easy to spot based on the very visible symptoms you described.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Registered member

mondyva has disabled reputation

put that bitch on a toggle switch. if that doesn help, buy a either a new motor for the fan or, a junk yard fan will work.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:11 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

Originally Posted by mondyva
put that bitch on a toggle switch. .
whaduknow?

a rhymin' assassin
Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Registered member

mondyva has disabled reputation

mwuahaha
Old 06-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by mondyva
put that bitch on a toggle switch. if that doesn help, buy a either a new motor for the fan or, a junk yard fan will work.
Problems go away if you ignore them or pretend they don't exist, right?