Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Radiator fan issues!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 03:23 AM
シビックタイプR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boostorbust has disabled reputation
Default Radiator fan issues!!!

ok so i installed a slim fan into my 97 civic hatch. hooked everything up and was running fine for about a week. then it just stopped working. so i tested it by jumpin the wires on the sensor plug...nothing. i checked the fuse and the relay that is in the underhood fuse/relay box...good. ran the fan straight to the battery...works fine. does anyone know of any other fuses or relays associated with the radiator fan?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Radiator fan issues!!!

There is a relay that switches power to the fan, and then there is the thermo switch that turns on the relay at the right temp. If Honda stopped doing that by '97 (I can't remember honestly) then the fan would be controlled by the ECU based on the reading from the coolant temp sensor.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:19 AM
シビックタイプR

i jumped the wires that go to the switch to power the relay directly but that didnt work. then i used the condenser fan relay in the slot for the radiator and still nothing. unless both relays are bad i dont know what else it could be. im thinking about just running the fan wires to something that turns on with ignition so its always on.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Get a multimeter and trace back from the fan until you find power. The fan system is just about the simplest circuit in the car so it shouldn't be too bad to troubleshoot. A factory manual would help so you can look at the schematics and find out where everything is. But, it's not really necessary to do most of the diagnosis you need to do. You just need to start poking around with a multimeter.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:18 PM
シビックタイプR

yea im going to tackle it this weekend, hopefully it isnt too hot!