Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Question for Honda tuners...

Old 08-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO
Default Question for Honda tuners...

Well, I guess anyone who has knowledge about how problem codes are thrown/displayed could answer this.

On my 03 Civic, the Check Engine and Oil warning lights do not come on... (not even for the bulb check at start up) Is this something that has possibly been tuned out? Or has someone fucked with the cluster? ... I've been thinking about buying a new gauge cluster, but if it has nothing to do with that I don't want to waste the time and money.

The car has issues, I know there has to be one if not MANY codes being thrown.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride
Default Re: Question for Honda tuners...

Somebody probably went inside the cluster and removed the bulbs. You can put bulbs back in it instead of buying a cluster.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

The bulbs are easily removed from the back of the cluster... Pull the cluster to see if the bulbs are there...
Old 08-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Someone is probably hiding something from you, and possibly not something good.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Someone is probably hiding something from you, and possibly not something good.
Rofl... I found out the hard way on mine... Mine took a shit before I checked mine out...

CHECK THE BULBS QUICK
Old 08-25-2009, 02:51 AM
Registered member

FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO

When I bought the car I found out it had a blown head gasket, I know the POS has other issues (posted a tech thread about a random 4k rev limiter) FYI... Don't ever by a car from Wally's out in Manakin Sabot, dude is a fucking joke/liar

I will say despite the issues, somehow the car's still getting around 30 mpgs
Old 08-25-2009, 04:31 AM
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt

Originally Posted by FSTWINO
When I bought the car I found out it had a blown head gasket, I know the POS has other issues (posted a tech thread about a random 4k rev limiter) FYI... Don't ever by a car from Wally's out in Manakin Sabot, dude is a fucking joke/liar

I will say despite the issues, somehow the car's still getting around 30 mpgs
Each car that is sold through a dealership is required to have a state inspection done from the time it comes in until the time it is sold.

I know little about state inspections, but quite a lot about the car business. Will a cel pass state inspection? Does the inspector look for the cel light during start-up? If so, you're probably set for a civil suit.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

97lude has disabled reputation

My car had a check engine light when I got it inspected and it still passed.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Registered member

Well, when I bought the car I noticed that it had a 3/09 inspection sticker on it, the thing about that is I bought the car in June I believe, so it obviously didn't have an "up to date" sticker... I don't know when that tool Wally bought the car or how long it had been on his lot.

Anyway, after I drove it home... I noticed the temp gauge moving quite a bit, so after some consulting I went and bought a block tester from NAPA.. Sure enough blown head gasket... Had to buy a head from Woodfins, spend $500 getting that head into shape, then paid someone to do the install... While he was doing the work, he noticed that neither the check engine light OR the oil light came on for the bulb check (guess i just didn't even think to look for that)

Wally claimed he had the car at 2 different mechanics which he claimed he used on his personal vehicles, and both of them gave him the thumbs up on the ride. I dunno, maybe it's just me but if I was looking over a car for a dealership I think I would have noticed something like that, or at least noticed the temp gauge acting like it was. After talking to Wally's dumbass he agreed to pay the labor for the install but left me with the cost of the head and all the costs from the machine shop... I hate that fucking guy with a passion.

I guess I will pull the cluster out and see if someone did pull the bulbs. Suppose I should get the car scanned to see what codes are actually thrown. Wouldn't surprise me if the belt was put back on wrong after the head and gasket install, I've come to doubt that person's ability. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Wow. You should report him somewhere, especially if you found out that the bulbs are removed. That has to be illegal in some capacity I'd imagine.

Quick Reply: Question for Honda tuners...