Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Question for the F-Body owners

Old 03-15-2004, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for the F-Body owners

Hey everyone, I drive a manual 98 Camaro (V6). I have a question about the clutch. Whenever I hold the clutch down for a longer period of time it tends to "stick". I can "fix" it by pumping the clutch for a few seconds kinda like bleeding the brakes. Im assumeing that its a hydrolic clutch and mabey i need to bleed the line or something? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

axis45 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Question for the F-Body owners

it is either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder(which is in between the clutch and transmision), its very common for the slave cylinders to go bad on F-bodys. try a new master cylinder first, is that doesnt fix it, save for a new clutch and get a slave put in at the same time
Old 03-16-2004, 07:50 PM
the baddest assed

MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE

if you have slipped it badly (burnt smell) a few times, its probably the pressure plate. it couldnt hurt to run fresh fluid through it..
if there isnt fluid seeping from the bellhousing then the hydraulics themself are likely working correctly.

like i said above, i bet the pressure plate is overheated and inverting when you press the pedal.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

axis45 has disabled reputation

if the master cylinder was bad the fluid leaks back into the resevior so no leak can be noted. it takes very little fluid leakage at the slave cylinder to cause this condition, you probably wont be able to see it without removing the inspection cover from the transmission. my old car did the same thing, and it was the master cylinder, but it was not an f-body. i have seen countless f-bodys and s/t trucks that have slaves go bad
Old 03-18-2004, 03:48 PM

Fear is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input. Next time I have a free day im going to try to take a better look at it and see if I can do anything with it myself. If not, ill probly be here asking some more questions.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:02 AM
WS6
www.autocross.us

WS6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know which would be harder on your car since both are a pain to get to.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Originally Posted by axis45
it is either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder(which is in between the clutch and transmision), its very common for the slave cylinders to go bad on F-bodys. try a new master cylinder first, is that doesnt fix it, save for a new clutch and get a slave put in at the same time
Yup! A good friend who just got her 02 Z/28 had to have the flywheel and slave cylinder replaced with only 12k on the clock.