VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Push Button Ignition/Switche's (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/push-button-ignition-switches-57287/)

Moriar 06-22-2004 08:05 PM

Push Button Ignition/Switche's

Alright im going to be getting a 240sx within a couple of weeks, i want to do my first mod right away and that is a pushbutton ignition *dont worry about theft i have thought this thru*

and im wondering is this easy? or is it a hassle and not worth it?

va_lancer_racer 06-22-2004 08:16 PM

Re: Push Button Ignition/Switche's

Very easy I did this in about 30 mins. All you need is wire the push button and the relay which should come with it. Also get one of those probes that checks to see if a wire is hot or not. here is the hook up. Since you want it to be done without the key just cut your starter wire and connect it to the white wire.

[RELAY] --(Red wire)----------->Battery 12V (key off)
[RELAY] --(Yellow wire)-------->IGN 12 (key on)
[RELAY] --(White wire)--------->Starter wire
[RELAY] --(Black wire) <------Push starter---->Ground(chassis)

Moriar 06-22-2004 08:18 PM

now with this done.. it will turn on the fuelpump..etc?

ToyotaTechGeek 06-23-2004 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by va_lancer_racer
Also get one of those probes that checks to see if a wire is hot or not.

hopefully this guy knows what he's doing and does not have airbags. otherwise "one of those probes" could trigger the airbags.

MORE IMPATIENT 06-23-2004 05:44 AM

i had a push button ignition in my car about a year ago, it was cool for a little while, but they like to go bad, the internal relays that came with the honda one that i bought went bad on my car and my friends car, it was cool for a minute, but when the car wouldnt start at the track, it sucked, so i yanked that piece out, its alot better with regular key starting.......

Fabrik8 06-23-2004 02:51 PM

Get a decent quality relay and you won't have that problem.
I like the exotic car setup, arm with the key, start with the button.. Then you don't have to worry about theft because your primary ignition is disabled without the key..

NIC668 06-23-2004 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I like the exotic car setup, arm with the key, start with the button.. Then you don't have to worry about theft because your primary ignition is disabled without the key..

Thats how mine is setup

CnmyTeg 06-23-2004 04:26 PM

the more electronics you have the more they all mess up...when i first got my car i bought all sorts of useless crap! tach, gauges, seats, paint, ect. ect. ect. NONE OF IT HELPED ME GO ANY FASTER!! spend your money where it counts first-PERFORMANCE- then buy all the little stuff, youll be glad you did.

Moriar 06-23-2004 06:49 PM

CNmy - i have most of the parts i want already, and i just wonderin if its to much of a hassle,

then on to the Crap ie: Gauges/Seats in what im interested in doin those actually are pretty important to me, i dont want to get tail happy and have to worry about sliding around the inside of the car,

MORE IMPATIENT 06-23-2004 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8

it was an s200 push button start module straight from honda, the relays are internal, it is a quality piece........and it was the same setup as your thinking, put it in the key, turn it, press the button to start, it just crapped out on both of our cars sooner than it should have.......