Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

pulsestar spark plugs?

Old 09-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADHD kid has disabled reputation
Default pulsestar spark plugs?

anyone ever use them? or have them now?
my friend put them in his sohc and he said he felt a diff right away but 3 miles after putting them in 2 blew up and messes alot of stuff up. this happen to neone else cause i was thingking of getting them.
let me know if i should or save the money and stick with ngk
thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: pulsestar spark plugs?

So your friend had two blow up, and you're still wondering if you should buy them..?

Wait, you have to save money to buy spark plugs? You should have bigger priorities than modding your car then, sorry to say. If you're that tight on cash, keep what you have in the bank until you really need different plugs. I'm not attacking you for being poor (I'm poor too right now), I just want you to take a good look at what you're saying here.

Until someone proves on the dyno that some new trendy spark plug makes a worthwhile amount of HP over a brand new NGK or similar, I see no reason to change.. Just replacing the used plugs with new ones can sometimes make a difference in perceived power, so take that for what it's worth.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

ADHD kid has disabled reputation

yeah i hear you. i was jus wondering if neone had a good review on them. and im not poor right now if i was i would not wanna buy a $25 a peice spark plug. and suppostly they have been proven on a dyno. idk i will j ust stay with the ngk's. i also herd they are super fragile and that may have caused them to mess up but again idk thats why im asking on here. but thanks though
Old 09-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

93hatch has disabled reputation

the pulsestar plugs offer a bigger and cleaner spark. good plug. not worth the money in my experience. i noticed the same effect by drilling my plugs. no i never put it on a dyno but did try drilled and undrilled plugs under the same conditions while looking at a datalogger. if you really want to try a diff. plug try it.i recommend factory plugs.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:22 PM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

Originally Posted by 93hatch
the pulsestar plugs offer a bigger and cleaner spark. good plug. not worth the money in my experience. i noticed the same effect by drilling my plugs. no i never put it on a dyno but did try drilled and undrilled plugs under the same conditions while looking at a datalogger. if you really want to try a diff. plug try it.i recommend factory plugs.
drilling your plugs? please elaborate......id like to know what this is and the supposed benefits.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Sorry, you drilled spark plugs?

What are you datalogging that you would expect to see a difference in spark plugs? Unless you're on a dyno, and can do back to back tests, I don't believe there can be a detectable difference. Certainly no difference that can be measured on a moving car, there are too many variables for get any meaningful information about the teeny HP gain that a radically different spark plug might promise to deliver.

EDIT: I just looked up the drilling process. That sounds like the biggest bunch of bullshit black magic I've ever heard of. Why would you modify a spark plug like that and expect to do anything other than throw the manufacturing tolerances out the window? Plus, you're making an extra, unintended erosion path such that the life of the plugs should be noticeably reduced. Everyone on the market should make plugs like that if it is so much better, because most of the 'non-traditional' plugs on the market with fancy shaped electrodes cost more to manufacture than a dished a drilled setup. Oddly, some of the best engine builders in the world don't do anything like that, even when they have hundreds of thousands of dollars of machine tools at their disposal. Must be a reason there somewhere......

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-28-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546

Originally Posted by CHAHONDA
drilling your plugs? please elaborate......id like to know what this is and the supposed benefits.
me too
Old 09-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Racetracks

Here's the first writeup I found, take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2343886_inde...ceeconomy.html

This really strikes me as being about as inconsistent as possible though, which isn't what you want. You could improve one cylinder, decrease another, etc., very easily. I'd try something like that once it's dyno proven and I could get them in a mass produced form where I knew the manufacturing tolerances were close enough to not matter overall. Gains in efficiency don't come easily though, and you're still at the mercy of a lot more in the way of physics than just a spark plug. This is why you can add a much higher power coil and still not pick up much if anything in the way of power. Adding a couple percent improvement to something thats only a couple percent of the working of an entire system doesn't make you come out with much.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-28-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:02 PM
ONE WAY --->

88SinZ 88SinZ 88SinZ 88SinZ 88SinZ 88SinZ 88SinZ 88SinZ 88SinZ 88SinZ 88SinZ

Originally Posted by ADHD kid
my friend put them in his sohc and he said he felt a diff right away but 3 miles after putting them in 2 blew up and messes alot of stuff up
i would be worried about peak cyl pressure during combustion causing them to blow out and F-shit up, engineers designed your motor for a controlled burn not an explosion

http://www.pulstarplug.com/cylinder-pressure.html
Old 09-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Racetracks

Don't worry, it's pretty much impossible to get that fast of a burn during a normal combustion cycle with a spark plug. You can't really change the flame propagation speed just by making a hotter spark. You can make it start to combust slightly faster from a given location, but fuel burns at a certain rate depending on the conditions it's in. Don't buy in to the marketing propaganda. Besides, there is still ignition timing involved, so it's going to start the combustion process at the right time anyway.

I know I've said this before, but if this stuff had so much merit, it would be in widespread use unless you believe the crackpot theories about the automakers being in bed with the oil companies (and agreeing to not increase efficiency or fuel economy). There are sound engineering principles, and there are overhyped placebo-effect inventions which are very convincing but ultimately ineffective.

Quick Reply: pulsestar spark plugs?