Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Probe GT Intake Idea

Old 01-07-2003, 07:53 AM
04 Mazda 6s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USAFturtle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Probe GT Intake Idea

Attatched is a picture showing where I'm talking about. Any other Probe owners out there see this idea or know what it would take to accomplish? I'm talking cutting a hole in the hood and fabricating some type of scoop (since I'm getting the car repainted anyway) that would take advantage of the very end of the factory intake system. I would then cut off that plastic piece right behind the initial part that seals against the hood and make my own intake from there.

What do you guys think it would take, what are your opinions.

Thanks,

Last edited by USAFturtle; 01-07-2003 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:45 AM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

A big NACA duct might actually work better if the bottom of the duct would seal against the bottom of the intake scoop. It's a good idea for some "Home Depot" priced ram air. I say go for it, you can find universal scoops all over the place, just get one that's the right size and go for it. Just make it look good!
Old 01-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

It's called RAM AIR, and is the most effective intake setup if done right.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Registered member

socket_ has disabled reputation

yeah, dont do it half-assed either.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:40 AM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by socket_
yeah, dont do it half-assed either.
If possible, you that piping piece for the "ram air" setup, then put a cone filter in the stock intake box. Better air flow than a stock intake and you'll still have the "ram air" benefits.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:01 PM
04 Mazda 6s

USAFturtle is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I can tell you there is no way to get a cone in the factory box, would have to design something which I don't have the funds for right now. How much of a cut is it to use the K&N panel filter already in the box but open up the are inlet on the front of the box to say 3 or 3 1/2 inches and run the larger piping over to the scoop. Right now I've been told that the plastic piece you see used right now on the front of the intake that seals up to the hood is the most restrictive part of our intake.

Opinions?
Old 01-07-2003, 12:19 PM
Former 757'er

Originally posted by USAFturtle
Well I can tell you there is no way to get a cone in the factory box, would have to design something which I don't have the funds for right now. How much of a cut is it to use the K&N panel filter already in the box but open up the are inlet on the front of the box to say 3 or 3 1/2 inches and run the larger piping over to the scoop. Right now I've been told that the plastic piece you see used right now on the front of the intake that seals up to the hood is the most restrictive part of our intake.

Opinions?
If there'd be a way to straighten that piece out, it'd help alot. Put the scoop on the drivers side instead of the passenger side. That way there's no bends or anything, it just gets slammed into the intake. Throw in a K&N panel filter and it shouldn't be much different.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:59 PM

KBprobeGT is an unknown quantity at this point

dude get a Cold Air Intake made by Hotshot, theyre the best