Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Prelude Surging problem

Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Floor It has disabled reputation
Default Prelude Surging problem

I just got my 99 prelude out of the shop getting some synchros replaced. I noticed afterwards, the car started to surge. I figure its a vacuum leak somewhere, but the odd thing is, is that once its warmed up for about 15-20 minutes it wont do it anymore. For example, it starts first thing in the morning, and by the time I get to work(15 mins) it stops. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2009, 04:06 AM
gotta go gotta go

cr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prelude Surging problem

Probably the fiav, it's under the the throttle body. Pretty common problem, easy to fix. Three bolts on the underside of it, there should be 2 coolant hoses running through it. After you get it off, there's gonna be 2 machince screws on the side that you'll probably need an impact driver to get off. After that's off, use a big flat head to tighten down the big white plastic valve (it'll have a slit in it).Put it all back together. OR you could do what I did and just bypass the coolant hoses from the fiav directly to the iac. Then block off the upper port (if you look inside your throttle body you'll see 2 holes on the left hand side, block off the top one either by filling it or by taking off the tb and blocking off the slit that it runs to) of your throttle body and use a thin plate to block off the area where the fiav used to be. GL
Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

Hmm. Sounds good to me. I figure it isn't a vacuum leak, because it would probably do it all of the time. What is the reason that it only does it before its warmed up??
Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Registered Member

It seems pretty simple. I just remove the TB and the 2 screws and thatll get me access to the plastic screw. And I just need to tighten the plastic screw? I'm just making sure I understand you correctly. Thanks a lot for the help!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:01 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The FITV has a wax pellet in it which gets heated up by the coolant after it gets to a certain temp. So it only bypasses air for idle until the engine is warmed up.

I'm guessing it's not that though, I think it's probably something that got overlooked when the engine was reinstalled after doing the synchro work. I'm not sure what level of dis-assembly they did, but it's possible that a vac line is loose or something like that.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:12 PM
uhh.. what?

idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly

i read somewhere that cars made after 96 dont have a fitv, i could be wrong though
but mine doesnt have one