Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Precision GT30R (3076)(rebuildable?)

Old 01-07-2011, 05:01 PM
neg rep this!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94accord has disabled reputation
Default Precision GT30R (3076)(rebuildable?)

Seal went bad on the exhaust side. Did some researching & some say yes but most say no you have replace the CHRA. Also, any local shops rebuild turbos? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Precision GT30R (3076)(rebuildable?)

I don't think the ball bearing units are easily rebuildable.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...BBService.html

Why do you think the seal is bad? Are you using a restrictor on the oil feed line and a proper type of drain line that is properly routed? If your oil pressure is too high or you have drainback problems, that can sometimes force oil past the seals. Also, if you've rotated the turbo in some strange direction that can cause seal problems too, kinda similar to the drain line.

I'm trying to think of the other things that can cause things like that without the seals actually being blown, can't think of any more at the moment.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-07-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 AM
neg rep this!

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I don't think the ball bearing units are easily rebuildable.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...BBService.html

Why do you think the seal is bad? Are you using a restrictor on the oil feed line and a proper type of drain line that is properly routed? If your oil pressure is too high or you have drainback problems, that can sometimes force oil past the seals. Also, if you've rotated the turbo in some strange direction that can cause seal problems too, kinda similar to the drain line.

I'm trying to think of the other things that can cause things like that without the seals actually being blown, can't think of any more at the moment.
Not sure why the seal went bad. I was told by a Precision tech NOT to use a restrictor because 1 is already built in the turbo & i double checked that just to be sure. The return line has a slight curve from the turbo to the pan but is otherwise straight down. Oil pressure being to high MAY be a factor because H22's do produce high oil pressure from what i have researched. I'm most certain that the turbo being rotated hasnt affected the seal as i have been running the turbo since August. But i did buy the turbo used w/ 5k on it but it hasnt given me any problem till now. And "now" meaning it went out about the same time my #3 piston rings fried after the tune, so thats what i'm thinking could have caused the problem, idk. Whatever the reason tho, it needs to be fixed. I just called all 5 of their distributors & left a message since none of them are open today so hopefully i'll hear back on Monday. Thank you for the link.

Last edited by 94accord; 01-08-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So how do you know that the fried piston rings aren't burning oil instead of having a blown turbo seal? You could have pretty well cooked the turbine seals if your EGTs were really high during the same event that might have fried your piston rings, but if you're just burning oil and you know you have piston ring damage I'd point the finger at ring problems first instead of turbo seals. If your CHRA has a restrictor built in (I think I remember that there is a 0.032 or 0.035 orifice built in) then you're probably perfectly fine on a stock oil system with stock pressure.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering what you're basing your assumptions on because I don't have all the information that you do...

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-08-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:49 AM
neg rep this!

So how do you know that the fried piston rings aren't burning oil instead of having a blown turbo seal? You could have pretty well cooked the turbine seals if your EGTs were really high during the same event that might have fried your piston rings, but if you're just burning oil and you know you have piston ring damage I'd point the finger at ring problems first instead of turbo seals.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering what you're basing your assumptions on because I don't have all the information that you do...
Well im pretty sure that 3rd cylinder is burning oil but you can also see oil on the CHRA, so i just assumed that the seal went bad. But you could be right. Wont know anything for sure until i replace the rings, but jic the seal is bad on the turbo i'll know what steps to take & how much it'll hurt my pockets beforehand. This all happened during a street tune, not saying it was the tuners fault but like you i dont have all the info as well as i was not there. I originally took the car to get tuned because it was driving w/ a slight hesitation. I assumed the tune had fell off because of the cold weather & i had ignored it for a little over a week because i didnt have the funds & had to get to work. So i finally couldnt take it anymore & sent it to my tuner. He tuned it as best he could before it started snowing, enough for the car to be drivable. It still had a that hesitation but not as strong anymore. So we opted to finish the tune on a dry day. Took it back to him & during this time he felt something was wrong because the car just wasnt responding like it shouldve. He took the dizzy cap off & the rotor button fell out. That was the whole cause of the hesitation problem the whole time. So what he told me was that the rings couldve fried do to the rotor button not being on point which would cause the timing to be off. This is all i know because these are his words.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Racetracks

If you have ring failure, your entire manifold might be coated with oil. Well, see what's up with the rings and then worry about the turbo. Good luck, I hope everything comes out ok.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:02 AM
neg rep this!

If you have ring failure, your entire manifold might be coated with oil. Well, see what's up with the rings and then worry about the turbo. Good luck, I hope everything comes out ok.
True, true. Thanks for the all the help.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:11 PM
neg rep this!

Alright so i got the ring issue solved & yes the seal on the turbo is def bad. I've called 4 Garrett distr. since my last post & they said that Precision deals w/ their own products now. So i called Precision & the guy told me that they dont even make nor carry rebuild kits for their products & to contact so & so. I call so & so & they say that Precision deals w/ their own products BUT they may can make a rebuild kit for me if i take the turbo completely apart, take measurements, & send them the pics. Not comfortable w/ doing that as i dont wanna cause more damage. So now im stuck like Chuck. Are there any Garrett turbos that are similar in design to the Precision GT30r? They sell kits all day long for Garrett so i'm curious. Any ideas aside from purchasing another turbo???

Last edited by 94accord; 03-05-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Racetracks

So in other words, don't buy anything from Precision because they won't/can't stand behind their own products....? Why is Precision not able to get parts for their own line of Garrett turbos...?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 PM
neg rep this!

So in other words, don't buy anything from Precision because they won't/can't stand behind their own products....? Why is Precision not able to get parts for their own line of Garrett turbos...?
Yeah man, basically. I think its a load of crap myself but what else can I do ya know. Not gonna waste my breath arguing w/ the company just 2 get nowhere. As much as their turbos cost u would think they would have rebuild kits handy jic, keeping their customers happy for when things fail. If I can't get this 1 rebuilt then its off to another brand. Will never deal w/ Precision again!

Quick Reply: Precision GT30R (3076)(rebuildable?)