Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Possible LS OEM internal upgrades?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Canon User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDG371 has a spectacular aura aboutJDG371 has a spectacular aura aboutJDG371 has a spectacular aura about
Default Possible LS OEM internal upgrades?

I recently got a 99 Civic DX[woo!] anyways, after reading and researching a bit, I want to swap a LS engine in the near future. It seems to be the most realistic swap for a little more umph and still maintain a great gas mileage. My question is.. would ANY GSR/TypeR/B16 internals work with the LS WITHOUT modifications? I know that any B series transmission would work, but I can't seem to find much infor about interchangeable parts from B18C1/5 to B18B1

cams/valves/pistons/etc.

Thanks.

Also, if theres any good reading about LS swaps into a 99 DX. [ I guess its an EP since its coupe ]
Old 04-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

parsons_04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible LS OEM internal upgrades?

well the best thing to do is just look at alot of peoples upgrades. ls are the same block as the vtec engines but there is little differences. like the girdle on the mains. oil squirters to keep the pistons cool. but the best thing for the top would be just to put a vtec head on it and call it good. after you up grade that you will like the way it is. if you turbo it. its better to go forged. its really good to keep it stock with like ctr or itr pistons. that helps a little to boost compression. there is so many things you can do with them engine. its just about the best one to start out with. the the cams and the head basically you can not switch between the two vtecs and non vtec engines. but you can swap the whole head onto it. pistons you can change, rods you can change, cranks you can change. but you might want to read a little into it because you might have to machine a little here and there. but you can also get the repair manuals and start reading into them. just to see the difference in the two.

Last edited by parsons_04; 04-13-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Canon User

JDG371 has a spectacular aura aboutJDG371 has a spectacular aura aboutJDG371 has a spectacular aura about

Doing the LSVtec has come to mind. Although I haven't actually done any research on it. It seems that it would be the best bang for the buck for an LS. What whp do they usually net with just a head swap?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:51 AM
Registered Member

parsons_04 is an unknown quantity at this point

im not positive. but i know its a great upgrade. torque motor with high rpm hp.