Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Port & polish... ??? Good Idea?

Old 01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
2k 2Play

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tricknology has disabled reputation
Default Port & polish... ??? Good Idea?

So i drive a 98 honda accord sedan... f23 2.3L Sohc Vtec... This is my daily driver!.. Not interested in making this thing Super fast, however , 150hp is just not cutting it for me ...

So im wondering if a Port/Polish/headwork would be a good move to increase performace?

Anyone seen this done on this motor?

ANy good recommendations on who does the best work?

What can i expect from doing this?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks dragva
Old 01-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

chucky22 is a splendid one to beholdchucky22 is a splendid one to beholdchucky22 is a splendid one to beholdchucky22 is a splendid one to beholdchucky22 is a splendid one to beholdchucky22 is a splendid one to beholdchucky22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Port & polish... ??? Good Idea?

yes ur head will flow alot better
Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 PM
2k 2Play

btw currently running pulleys/intake/headersback
Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

chucky22 is a splendid one to beholdchucky22 is a splendid one to beholdchucky22 is a splendid one to beholdchucky22 is a splendid one to beholdchucky22 is a splendid one to beholdchucky22 is a splendid one to beholdchucky22 is a splendid one to behold

do it
Old 01-17-2008, 12:20 PM
2k 2Play

any ideas on who does it
Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Considering that’s all you’re going to be changing, its probably not going to make that much of a difference. You’d be better off finding if you can get an aftermarket cam and work with some more bolt ons (exhaust, intake, undrive pulley, etc) before you pull the head.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

My shop does it but your far away...ur closer to abacus
Old 01-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

jdmteg18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your on the right path....and then your not....let me explain

You said you dont want a super fast car,you just want something basically fun.Also you said its your daily driver. First off,to P&P a head,you need to take it off,dissassemble it,and start the work.In the long run,that turns out to be alot of down time. Alot of labor,and could be (depending how good you want it to turn out) alot of money....

Second,the f23 head isnt a bad flowing head in stock form. If you were to P&P the head,to get the MOST of the p&p job,you'd need aggressive cams,then to support the cams you'd need duel springs,titanium retainers, then to avoid over camming the motor,you'd need to bump up the compression which in turn means milling the head,or putting new pistons in the block,or both.As for someone not trying to get a street monster...not a good route to go. Now im not saying you wont see gains if you just p&p your head,and maybe throw some mild cams in,but you would be basically wasting your time/money,because the gains would be very minimal.

Now for someone like you, I SUGGEST (not telling you what to do,its your car),it sounds like to me all you want is a fun street car. Their are plenty,plenty of mild cams out there that you can throw in your head to free up some ponies. Id suggest researching around and find a good,steet cam for your needs. You say you already have a header/exhaust,a mild cam and maybe an aftermarket intake manifold sounds like it would suit your needs.

Trust me,to get REAL power out of a N/A 4 banger is not as easy as people make it to be. Every aftermarket part you throw on the car has to "sing" with all the other parts,or your going to fall short of good power. Meaning you cant just go out and "lego" build your motor,the build has to be planned out and you have to find which parts will make you power in the right areas. Just because you have name brand parts on a car doesnt mean your going to make monster power. those name brand parts all have to work together. N/A is tricky when it comes to making good,usable power.

But like i said,dont worry about p&ping your head for a fun street car. Search around for a mild cam and if you want a little more,get supporting mods like a good intake manifold,better header/exhaust,and so on. Dont waste your time and money taking off the head and loads of downtime for an extra 5whp....

As far as who to go with,its a drive for you,but alot of people can vouch on this site about Hybrid Garage (and im sure if mike or jon see this,they can/will step in and offer help). But these guys can sit down with you and you can explain what exactly you want,and they can offer suggestions on what will get you there. They are great guys,do outstanding work,and have probably the best prices out of all shops on the east coast. I strongly vouch for these guys.

But again....the choice is yours....all i can offer is my advice and suggestions. best of luck whatever way you decide to go.

Last edited by jdmteg18; 01-17-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:21 AM
2k 2Play

well goddamn dude...
that was maybe the most helpful post ive ever had on drag...
thanks a ton bro ...
Very Helpful and i appreciate you taking the time to look out and break that down for me!!

danny
Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

jdmteg18 is an unknown quantity at this point

no problem man, and thank you for your appreciation.

Quick Reply: Port & polish... ??? Good Idea?