VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Poor-Man Setup (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/poor-man-setup-134045/)

Tmac85 04-03-2006 09:05 AM

Poor-Man Setup

I want to build a poor man's Type R, im not really familar with this setup but I do know that it takes a gsr block w/ a b16 head. I need to know what ecu I will need and can I use any b-series tranny? Im not quite sure which shell ill be using, but I think I want to go w/ either a ef hatch or a eg hatch. Im pretty sure that if I go w/ the ef , I want to stay away from the dx models...My question is what will I need to do a complete swap into a hatch wether it be a ef or eg.......

Thanx, Tyler

NEO_WRX 04-03-2006 09:27 AM

Re: Poor-Man Setup

what is the benefit of a B16 head on a GSR block?

sohc_mshue 04-03-2006 09:35 AM

I recommend getting a chipped ecu and actualy tuning it so it will run up to par.

Tmac85 04-03-2006 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
I recommend getting a chipped ecu and actualy tuning it so it will run up to par.

Sounds good, but which ecu should I go with??

thermal 04-03-2006 10:32 AM

If I remember correctly, Poor man's typeR is this:
*B16 Head with R cams
*ITR/CTR intake manifold
*B18C1 block with R pistons and crank
*B16 tranny (for short gearing)
*Red valve cover.... ha ha

If you really think about it, those parts are hard to get. It'll be so much easier and better to build an LSVTEC with aftermarket pistons/rods/bearings. You'll have more potential on making more power, especially if tuned... as mentioned above.

thermal 04-03-2006 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tmac85
Sounds good, but which ecu should I go with??

chipped/socketed P28/P72

Tmac85 04-03-2006 10:36 AM

I only have about 1800 to 1900 to spend, and thats only if I can find a good shell I like for 1000

MA-HALF-E 04-03-2006 10:38 AM

If you don't have a shell, then you probably don't have enough money.

Tmac85 04-03-2006 10:39 AM

Would I have enough for Ls/Vtec?? or just a standard Gsr

DOHC crx VTEC 04-03-2006 10:52 AM

Tyler, swap it in the CRX!!

Tmac85 04-03-2006 10:55 AM

Some guy wants to buy the crx for 2800!!!!

BOOSTED-EK 04-03-2006 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by DOHC crx VTEC
Tyler, swap it in the CRX!!

Soo you have a crx and you want to swap a ef hatch..??

If you only have 1900 bucks for a motor do an ls and do a home made turbo kit... Just my 2 cent...

Tmac85 04-03-2006 10:59 AM

Yeah, someone off of drag wants my crx, for 2800, if I can find a good shell for under 1k than ill have 1800 for the motor swap....

DOHC crx VTEC 04-03-2006 11:31 AM

NO. KEEP your CRX. The only "bad thing" about is the hood is primer. EF<CRX crx is a little bit lighter, but remember every pound counts! Clean CRX's are pretty rare. You see billion's of EF's on the road. Not many CRX's!!!! I'd say just keep it and save up for a better swap then the ZC. Just my advice, I had a CRX si three CRX's ago and regreted selling well trading it for a 700 dollar EF Hatch, when I had 3000 into the Si. With maintance parts and everything. It was practically BRAND new Mechanically!!!

Tmac85 04-03-2006 11:48 AM

You do make a valid point, I do love my crx, its one of the nicest ive seen, I even got some compliments at the starbucks/mcdonalds show......and my lil rex was parked next to sweet supra and a bunch of f-body camaros and even my boys sweet ass vette. Not that I could keep up w/ them, but you know, I didnt get as much looks as my boys turbo gsr, but I didnt hear anyone raggin on my shit either...

Vern 04-03-2006 12:12 PM

yea you need to just keep it, cuz if you sell it and try to get a shell for 1k and put a motor in it for 1800, chances are that your car will not be as clean as your crx, meaning that your shell that you will buy will prolly be primered!

Tmac85 04-03-2006 12:17 PM

yeah both of you are right, but in the future i might want a poor man......

DOHC crx VTEC 04-03-2006 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Vern
yea you need to just keep it, cuz if you sell it and try to get a shell for 1k and put a motor in it for 1800, chances are that your car will not be as clean as your crx, meaning that your shell that you will buy will prolly be primered!

Primer, primer, primer......why did the last owner have to be a ricer and primer my car:( It was a PRETTY blue!

Tmac85 04-03-2006 12:52 PM

Lol, well its the cheapest way to make the car one color or primer over scratches...

DOHC crx VTEC 04-03-2006 01:03 PM

Lol, well its the cheapest way to make the car one color or primer over scratches...

I'd rather have fading paint than primer.

Tmac85 04-03-2006 01:35 PM

Some primer jobs look clean, some dont at all....

DOHC crx VTEC 04-03-2006 01:40 PM

Some primer jobs look clean, some dont at all....

Some do yeah. I think i might just do body work and re-primer mine. Since it's warmer and the weather will permit it to stick better.

Tmac85 04-03-2006 01:41 PM

Yeah just make sure you either use a paint gun, or get some who has a paint gun, it will come out smoother than a spray can...

DOHC crx VTEC 04-03-2006 01:45 PM

Yeah just make sure you either use a paint gun, or get some who has a paint gun, it will come out smoother than a spray can...

Oh, I've got one :D. Just when it was cold I was tired of looking at that haggard ass white primer that was on it. So I said forget it and rattle can'd it. I might do Primer Grey till i get a paint job. Iono

Tmac85 04-03-2006 01:47 PM

Grey does look good, so does black....

kawgomoo 04-03-2006 05:03 PM

the gsr is a way better bottom end than the ls. not to mention no one ever puts the vtec oil pump on the ls when they do the vtec conversion.. bad juju just waiting to happen there. b16 head has the smallest combustion chambers therefore the highest compression of al lthe honda heads. since a type r is just a b16 with a lil blending and some spiffy valves the regular b16 head is often the way to go.

ive put together some super low budget lsvtec with b16 head, 12 to 1 pistons and made a tick over 180 at the wheels. no tuning, just stock ecu and what not. far from ideal.. but its a raw bitch in a crix.

just remember if you use an sir1 head that the valve springs are at least 10-15 years old and may not take kindly to ridiculous redline.

kawgomoo 04-03-2006 05:06 PM

on the subject of primer.... dont ever rattle can your car. cause if you ever want to paint it you have to sand ALL that lauqer shit off{and there not water proof so the metal will still rust under the primer}. what a nightmare. go to the paint store, get some epoxy primer and spray it on. you can have them tint it whatever color you want, therefore you dont have to rock a baby shit tan car till you get it painted. not to mention satin colors are fucking sick.
for you guys with no compressor the paint store can mix the paint {in this case primer} and put it in a rattle can for you so you can still piss can it, but at least the metal will be protected.

Tmac85 04-03-2006 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by kawgomoo
the gsr is a way better bottom end than the ls. not to mention no one ever puts the vtec oil pump on the ls when they do the vtec conversion.. bad juju just waiting to happen there. b16 head has the smallest combustion chambers therefore the highest compression of al lthe honda heads. since a type r is just a b16 with a lil blending and some spiffy valves the regular b16 head is often the way to go.

ive put together some super low budget lsvtec with b16 head, 12 to 1 pistons and made a tick over 180 at the wheels. no tuning, just stock ecu and what not. far from ideal.. but its a raw bitch in a crix.

just remember if you use an sir1 head that the valve springs are at least 10-15 years old and may not take kindly to ridiculous redline.

So what ur saying is an Ls/vtec is the way to go?

streetsk8er757 04-03-2006 06:47 PM

You could also buy a gsr block and get an ls crank/rods/ctr pistons if you want to go n/a so you dont have to run the extra oil line from the block just an idea though

2ltrgsr 04-03-2006 07:38 PM

tyler, ls turbo is the way to go, listen for once.

kawgomoo 04-03-2006 08:19 PM

well lsvtec is cheap-ish, and can be made pretty fast.

turbo is great, but def not cheap. tuning becomes a REAL nightmare. afc hack is total b.s. as well as 90 percent of the other ways people try and tune there cars. not to mention a turbo is basically another engine in front of your engine, so you have a whole nother oiling system and cooling lines to contend with {water cooling the housing is def recomended, even though honda fags NEVER do it}

sooo if i had a crix which is light, and a budget id probably do an lsvtec. poor mans type r is pretty good, but really i dont think it ends up in the long run any cheaper than just buying a type r... not to do it right anyways.

you can get a b16 sir1 head cheap, you can get an ls block cheap. get the 20 dollar dowel pins from golden eagle, slap it all together with a 300 dollar set of 12.5to1 srp pistons.. dont really even need a forged piston, hypereutetic will work peachy for your situation as long as you dont plan on nos or turbo. maybe scrounge up a type r intake cam... your in the money

with little investment you shouldbe able to get up near 200hp mark... well like 180's 190 perhaps. if you can swing it get a valve job on the head {seth, 5 angle} some good springs and retainers. that way your all set for big lift cams and or high rpm should you decide to go that route in the future. oh yeah and put a vtec oil pump on it.

i guess the key is if you go n/a you will want a close ratio tranny, which an ls def is not.

ugh so many decisions.... remember the bottom end doesnt really make any power, {except for compression} it just holds it.. all the power is made in the head. so if you get the basics right first, you can mess with cams, intake manifolds headers and all that mess in the future as you get more money.

turbo single cam is total crap.

DecentCivicZ6 04-03-2006 08:29 PM

thats the setup im doing, b18a1 with b16 head, but mine isnt stock, not in the car yet either, just a b18c1 is. until somone ran a redlight into me last week. but I have arias forged 8:5.1 pistons, eagle-h, darton 84mm sleeves, crank girdle, pretty cheap if you ask me, head is about to get all the goodies in about a month. easy to build out of the car, rather than swappin stock crap in...then building it. take the time, comes out right.... oh and i have 60trim turbo setup for it... its gonna be fun tuning this, haha...any good places in VA for dynos? or jsut Pro-Motion Tuning?

WqYn3 04-04-2006 04:52 AM

build a sohc and build that. you should be able to afford that.

Tmac85 04-04-2006 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by wayne

Are you trying to be a smart ass or something?

DOHC crx VTEC 04-04-2006 11:08 AM

Yeah, Building a single cam..should be able to afford it. Sorry dude, but b-series and d-series aftermarket parts are in the same ball park kinda. Single cams can only get you so far anyways......

themacuser.org 04-04-2006 02:05 PM

you should be able to afford that.

LOLOL

kawgomoo 04-04-2006 08:08 PM

building a d or a b costs exactly the same.... except for one you have to buy two cams and two cam gears.. wooppity friggin do.

single cams blow ass anyhow....

CivicGsr94EG8.. why did you choose to go with such low comp pistons? low compression just means you need more boost to make the same power, and will increase lag time. typically i like to see around 10 to 1 with around 11psi from a t3ish turbo, a good combo that puts down 300 or so to the wheels on pump fuel. and a broad tq curve at that.

Tmac85 04-04-2006 08:29 PM

I always thought low compression pistons were better for turbo, no one ever took the time to explain to me why, I thought it was just a known fact high compression pistons are used for all motor, and low was used for boost....