Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

please help gsr prob

Old 06-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Sheeeit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch
Default please help gsr prob

Last edited by Hooch; 06-16-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation
Default Re: please help gsr prob

Define no power. No power would be the car won't even start... At what rpm are you experiencing the power falling off?

What is a code 21 and what was the car doing before you messed with it? Also, is the pressure sensor and ground hooked back up on the vtec solenoid?
Old 06-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Sheeeit

Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch

no power means after about 3 grand in 2nd gear you can hit the pedal and it revs but kinda slow just the speed you arent going anywhere ... the code 21 is vtec solenoid and the car was fine before hand and the sensors i just unhooked them and hooked em back up
Old 06-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Check the timing. It sounds like you've turned the distributor or something like that.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Check the timing. It sounds like you've turned the distributor or something like that.
Wouldn't you have to ground the ecu in order to advance/retard timing by turning the distributor? I can't remember the OBD1 stuff.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

Originally Posted by o0jash0o
no power means after about 3 grand in 2nd gear you can hit the pedal and it revs but kinda slow just the speed you arent going anywhere ... the code 21 is vtec solenoid and the car was fine before hand and the sensors i just unhooked them and hooked em back up
Pull the cap of the distributor and check the rotor button contact and the plug wire contacts. How do they look?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by The real Ryan
Wouldn't you have to ground the ecu in order to advance/retard timing by turning the distributor? I can't remember the OBD1 stuff.
The service check connector is what you're thinking about. It makes the ECU stop adjusting the timing so the ECU won't adjust the advance when the timing is set mechanically. When you do change the timing mechanically, the ECU can only compensate within a limited range, so if the mechanical timing is wrong then the engine will run like crap. That what I think is going on in this situation.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The service check connector is what you're thinking about. It makes the ECU stop adjusting the timing so the ECU won't adjust the advance when the timing is set mechanically. When you do change the timing mechanically, the ECU can only compensate within a limited range, so if the mechanical timing is wrong then the engine will run like crap. That what I think is going on in this situation.

So his car should be idling rough in that case correct?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Racetracks

Not necessarily. If the timing is off just enough to be a problem, it's possible to start having problems up in the RPM range when the timing can't be advanced enough. I think the timing is likely too retarded to make good power, but it's not that hard to idle properly if the ECU can still adjust timing enough at idle.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:37 PM
A.K.A Jebus

Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo

+1 i had a similar problem in the past the dizzy was off center causing the timing to be throw out of wack. Will it let you go past 3-4 grand while driving? Or does it sputter and hesitate to get past that rpm range?

Quick Reply: please help gsr prob