Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Pistons, rings and, cams b20z

Old 11-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway
Default Pistons, rings and, cams b20z

I have to get new rings, for my b20z. I was looking for some advice on brands, I am new to internals. I would like to replace the pistons too, but as everyone understands how money in the economy can get a little tight. I have seen some kit, but what kits would you recommend? I am looking to stay with the stock sleeves so I never plan on boosting the car, I would like to make a few passes a year just to see what the 1/4 mile times look like, but I am thinking about autocrossing.

I am looking to replace my cams. looking at crower's stage 2 drag cams. here is a pair from summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRO-62403-2/ Will these kill my mpg? and will I have to replace to retainers and springs? from a pair of cams how much hp gain could I be looking at?

thank you for any advice and input.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:55 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch
Default Re: Pistons, rings and, cams b20z

Originally Posted by jhholloway
I have to get new rings, for my b20z. I was looking for some advice on brands, I am new to internals. I would like to replace the pistons too, but as everyone understands how money in the economy can get a little tight. I have seen some kit, but what kits would you recommend? I am looking to stay with the stock sleeves so I never plan on boosting the car, I would like to make a few passes a year just to see what the 1/4 mile times look like, but I am thinking about autocrossing.

I am looking to replace my cams. looking at crower's stage 2 drag cams. here is a pair from summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRO-62403-2/ Will these kill my mpg? and will I have to replace to retainers and springs? from a pair of cams how much hp gain could I be looking at?

thank you for any advice and input.
with stage 1 cams you will be fine with stock springs and retainers and depending on how aggressive the stage 2 cams are, you should be fine with a stock valve train as well, but you WILL need to upgrade with stage 3,

as far as rings/pistons go, i would recommend OEM, and with Ls-v i would just Pm me about that one, because there is a mile long list of things to do with LS-v
Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
with stage 1 cams you will be fine with stock springs and retainers and depending on how aggressive the stage 2 cams are, you should be fine with a stock valve train as well, but you WILL need to upgrade with stage 3,

as far as rings/pistons go, i would recommend OEM, and with Ls-v i would just Pm me about that one, because there is a mile long list of things to do with LS-v
I want to stay away from LS-vtec/Cr-vtec and stay all motor. Stage 2 cams are what I am looking for, I am still using the Sol as my DD. Are there really not much gain to be made by changing out the pistons?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by jhholloway
I want to stay away from LS-vtec/Cr-vtec and stay all motor. Stage 2 cams are what I am looking for, I am still using the Sol as my DD. Are there really not much gain to be made by changing out the pistons?
high compression with Ls-V yes

high compression b20 no, and the b20 has low compression, so if you changed it out with a different b20 like a b20z which has higher compression than the b4, then yes you will gain SOME power..

but putting in aftermarket low compression pistons would be useless
Old 11-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

Read the bottom of the link that you posted. If you have the cash I would just upgrade the springs and retainers.

Cams with mileage and power.
These performance Level 2 cams from Crower are designed for individuals who require more power and an extended rpm range. They provide excellent low-end and midrange power for spirited street and off-road driving and mild marine applications. These cams work well with stock or near-stock engines and drivetrains.