Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Pease help!

Old 05-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94_CRVtec has disabled reputation
Default Pease help!

ok, i need some advice...i have a 94 teg the problem is when i go to start the car it makes a bad grinding sound(my theroy is the flywheel/starter gears not hitting correctly) but eventually it will start. Now i have never had this problem in the past, it has just recently started happening, my theroy is that the starter solenoid isnt pushing the start gear hard/far enough and it is hitting the flywheel at an odd angle or just partially. If anyone has some advice on this please your help would be great!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

chuckyarus has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pease help!

yeah I would say more than likely you need a starter
Old 05-15-2006, 05:53 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by chuckyarus
yeah I would say more than likely you need a starter
Ditto. And I'd buy a OEM one from a Stealership. My buddy just bought one from Honda and it was 90 bucks.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:26 AM
Registered Member

95siguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely check the starter, it's not hard to do. You have to remove the intake piping, and maybe the battery to have room to get to it. Then there are just two or three bolts holding it in. Take it out and inspect the teeth to see if they're damaged.

If they are damaged, go get a new one. And, you should also check the flywheel to see if that's also damaged. On the bottom side of the engine, where the motor meets the bell-housing, there's a cover you can remove and get a look at the flywheel.

Oh and, nobody bought a new starter anywhere for $90, especially from a dealership. If it turns out to be your starter, go to Advance/Autozone and get one there. It will be around $135 with a core.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:05 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by 95siguy
Definitely check the starter, it's not hard to do. You have to remove the intake piping, and maybe the battery to have room to get to it. Then there are just two or three bolts holding it in. Take it out and inspect the teeth to see if they're damaged.

If they are damaged, go get a new one. And, you should also check the flywheel to see if that's also damaged. On the bottom side of the engine, where the motor meets the bell-housing, there's a cover you can remove and get a look at the flywheel.

Oh and, nobody bought a new starter anywhere for $90, especially from a dealership. If it turns out to be your starter, go to Advance/Autozone and get one there. It will be around $135 with a core.
Discount .

$187.63 before discount. Maybe it was a little more than that. O, well. Sorry.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 95siguy

I bought my starter for 45.99 from Carquest, well lucky duck me, worked at a car shop
Old 05-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

audiophile24 has disabled reputation

have a friend try to saart the car and while he is doing this smack it once or twice with a hammer if it engages then the bendix inside the starter is stuck im not sure of how to clean them but usually that is the problem.....