Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Password jdm foglights blowing fuses??

Old 05-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these parts
Default Password jdm foglights blowing fuses??

Ok well i got my fogs, the relay burnt out melted etc idk why??. So i went the scenic route wired them into my running lights now they blow a fuse around a hour of being on then all my lights cut off. im not too handy about wireing, but how can i get a good base start as too what to do. 1995 civic coupe, password jdm fogs. is what im working with.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Registered member

ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995
Default Re: Password jdm foglights blowing fuses??

sounds like you grounded them wrong. i put a set in for a guy who was incorrectly grounding them and he didn't have in a fuse, his kept popping bulbs
Old 05-07-2011, 10:29 PM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by Cbrooks3323
Ok well i got my fogs, the relay burnt out melted etc idk why??. So i went the scenic route wired them into my running lights now they blow a fuse around a hour of being on then all my lights cut off. im not too handy about wireing, but how can i get a good base start as too what to do. 1995 civic coupe, password jdm fogs. is what im working with.
u done fucked up the wiring
Old 05-07-2011, 11:04 PM
SPARKLEmotion

FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah

Originally Posted by Cbrooks3323
Any boof-jank connections? Did you chase through grommets like you're supposed too?

if all of your connections are proper, and there are no split/frays in the wiring, I would say that you more than likely just had a bad relay. I'm actually wondering why they would send one in the first place. I guess to wire the turn on lead to the stock lights and the constant straight to 12volt?

I can tell you for sure that the problem you're having NOW with the running lights is that you're overloading the circuit. The fog lights you have draw almost as much current as your stock low beams do and you just added them to low amp circuit that already has a full set of lights on it. This is what I would do:

Un-hook the fogs and pop another fuse in to get your lights back on.

When you get the free time, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, Trace the wires to make sure everything is in order.
Buy a 20amp inline fuse, an extra 20 amp fuse or 2, and a small female but connector: Crimp on the connector and plug into one of the empty accessory prongs in the stock under dash fuse box (this will make it so the fogs turn off when the key is in the OFF position). Install the in-line fuse some where easily accessible between the but connector and the light switch. RE-CHECK all connections then re-connect the battery.

Now they are on their own circuit and if you still have issues with them, you only have that small circuit to trouble shoot instead of the entire lighting system. Also, when ever the key is off, the circuit won't be energized so you are free to check for problems without having to disconnect the battery/pull the fuse.

Last edited by FObangah; 05-07-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Registered member

Cbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these partsCbrooks3323 is infamous around these parts

Ok I'll try that
Old 05-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Registered member

I have no relay, and it's strictly wired to my side markers so sounds like I need to buy a relay. Cause all wires are housed and sleeved right no bares or pintches
Old 05-08-2011, 12:12 PM
SPARKLEmotion

FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah

Well thats good to hear. Now check this:

READ THIS

^ this will help you realize what exactly a relay does and how it operates. The MAIN POWER for your fogs should not share the circuit with your side markers. Power from your side markers CAN be used as the "trigger" wire to close the relay (complete the larger circuit 12v to the fogs), but the power for the fogs them selves shouldn't be on that same circuit. You still need to run some form of 12v constant to the "load" side of the relay that isn't being shared with anything else (unless it's of very low amps)

The hook-up method I gave you in my first post deletes the need for a relay because the IGNITION system acts as the "relay". When you turn the ignition off, the entire fuse block shuts down, thus acting as a switch to terminate the main 12v's going to your fogs.... and everything else on the car.

I promise if you do this, you will be happy with the results and that way if you ever blow/bust/break one and it shorts out, all that pops is the in-line fuse you installed, nothing else shuts off (lights/radio/where ever you pulled ghetto power from), and you get the pride that comes with fixing something using your own ingenuity.

Last edited by FObangah; 05-08-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Do it yo' slef nignog!