Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

p8r head on a ls block

Old 04-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Fresh Prince

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz
Default p8r head on a ls block

wats up

i recently came across a ls block and a p8r jdm b20 head. i heard that the head flows better then and ls head but my concern is because it has an 84mm combustion chamber, will it fit on a 81mm block like an ls? and if it does what head gasket would i use?

thanks for your time

Last edited by Akanuggetz; 04-06-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Fresh Prince

Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz Akanuggetz
Default Re: p8r head on a ls block

bump
Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Registered member

Mirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to all

Yes the head will fit, but there will be some overlap. You will have an area around the perimeter of the head opening that sits on top of the cylinder sleeve. It should not cause a problem, but it will inhibit some flow, as the combustion area will not match the bore. Some people also worry about the potential for hot-spots and pre-ignition/detonation. I have talked with a machine shop who told me that should not be a problem, but I am running an 82mm bore block with the P8R head.

Use a B20/84mm headgasket to match the combustion chamber diameter.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Fresh Prince

Thanks. that just answered every one of my questions.