Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

overheating trouble

Old 10-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it2qwk4u has disabled reputation
Default overheating trouble

I just replaced the headgasket on my z6 engine that is supercharged due to it being blown. I had the head pressure tested and decked to be sure it was true. I still do not have my thermostat in and need to get new plugs and gap them. My overflow is still filling up over time and sometimes the car starts to bog if i get into it the fluid in the radiator keeps looking brownish orange when i check it... What info does anyone have on what my problem could be
Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Re: overheating trouble

You ever use that 'fix radiator' shit?

Could be a plethora of things, but i'd start with a system flush andbleed the system. If that does nothing then;
Check to make sure you're not collapsing a hose. If that does nothing then;
Remove the t-stat. If that does nothing;
Change your radiator cap; if that does nothing
Check/replace your water pump.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by it2qwk4u
on my z6 engine that is supercharged due to it being blown.
Wait, you blew a headgasket and that made it supercharged?

Ok, so the car is overheating, or is the overflow just filling up?

If you don't have a thermostat installed, and you are overheating, you can't have any restriction through the thermostat so that means one thing: Coolant isn't flowing. So you've likely either got a failed water pump, or a blocked radiator. That's pretty much it. With no thermostat, you should have more than enough cooling capacity, and the engine would have a hard time getting up to temp when the car is moving at anything over a crawl.

I'm guessing that whatever is causing your problem most likely contributed a little to the head gasket blowing. You should never need to remove the thermostat completely to get enough cooling (unless you're putting out a lot more power than a supercharged Z6 is capable of) so that's one indication right there.

Wait, your overflow is filling up? Is it staying filled even after the car is completely cooled down? If that's the case, it sounds like you have air in the system. Coolant expands and contracts with temperature, as does the engine, but it should go back to normal after cooling down. If the overflow tank is filling and staying filled, that means something else is displacing the volume of that coolant in the overflow tank.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-02-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Registered member

1aznTT 1aznTT 1aznTT

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Wait, you blew a headgasket and that made it supercharged?

Ok, so the car is overheating, or is the overflow just filling up?

If you don't have a thermostat installed, and you are overheating, you can't have any restriction through the thermostat so that means one thing: Coolant isn't flowing. So you've likely either got a failed water pump, or a blocked radiator. That's pretty much it. With no thermostat, you should have more than enough cooling capacity, and the engine would have a hard time getting up to temp when the car is moving at anything over a crawl.

I'm guessing that whatever is causing your problem most likely contributed a little to the head gasket blowing. You should never need to remove the thermostat completely to get enough cooling (unless you're putting out a lot more power than a supercharged Z6 is capable of) so that's one indication right there.

Wait, your overflow is filling up? Is it staying filled even after the car is completely cooled down? If that's the case, it sounds like you have air in the system. Coolant expands and contracts with temperature, as does the engine, but it should go back to normal after cooling down. If the overflow tank is filling and staying filled, that means something else is displacing the volume of that coolant in the overflow tank.

What i was thinking.

We need more information to help you more. often times, when people have problems, it's due to replacing TONS of shit at one time, or doing TONS OF SHIT at one time instead of just one thing at a time.
Makes diagnosing hard as HELL
...lord, i have a starting problem RIGHT NOW and all i did was change a starter that WAS verified bad...now the car won't start.... Fab...get in my thread - not to hijack - ...give us some more info, answer fab's ?s ...