Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Orange Peel

Old 09-21-2006, 05:00 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RoAzn757 has disabled reputation
Default Orange Peel

I got a Integra and just got done painting it but the clearcoat on the hood is so hazy from Orange Peel.

So after sanding it w/1500 grit sand paper. How long do I buff the sanded area for?

If anybody knows and can give me some info. I will be very appreciative.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:04 AM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Orange Peel

wet sand it and then buff it with hand glaze till the shine is brought back
Old 09-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

boosted crx-R is an unknown quantity at this point

get a polishing buffer with the gray pad and buff it untill you get it shining good enough for you. Dont let the paint warm up or it will bubble off.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:58 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 09-22-2006 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:04 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by RoAzn757
I got a Integra and just got done painting it but the clearcoat on the hood is so hazy from Orange Peel.

So after sanding it w/1500 grit sand paper. How long do I buff the sanded area for?

If anybody knows and can give me some info. I will be very appreciative.

Thanks.

theres no given time to wetsand orange peel, you need to wetsand it as long as it takes to get the surface flat. just have to be careful and know when to stop or you will cut through the clear and ruin it. let me ask you what you are using to buff, especially brand new clear, do not use anything with wax or silicone in it. 3m and other companies make compounds specifically for buffing new top coats and they are wax and silicone free so they dont disturb the curing process.

Originally Posted by DC2KiD
wet sand it and then buff it with hand glaze till the shine is brought back
that isnt going to work very well, you need a high speed buffer with torque and the proper buffing pads and material to get a superior gloss and remove scratches. hand glaze is a last step polish, i do a 3 stage buff, rubbing compound, finesse polishing compound to remove 1500 and finer scratches and then a foam pad polish for the shine, and if neccasary, a 4th stage hand glaze.

Originally Posted by boosted crx-R
get a polishing buffer with the gray pad and buff it untill you get it shining good enough for you. Dont let the paint warm up or it will bubble off.

ding ding. the grey foam pads are good for polishing,since you are saying there is alot of orange peel i would also reccomend the white foam pads, they are cutting pads and help to cut through the surface distortion of clear to make it flatter, i use the white pads first with rubbing compound and finesse, and the grey pads with the foam pad polish. the clearcoat WILL heat up. you just have to practice and now when to stop and add more compound for cooling purposes, thats why you need a buffer with some torque cause if you cant heat the clear up it will not polish and shine very well. you should practice cause you dont want to heat the clear up to much or use to much pressure cause then you will cut through it or heat it up too much and that results in something you dont want.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:41 AM
GO GO GODZILLA!

Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto

wet sand, check, wet sand, check. buff det chit till it be mirror!
Old 09-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Das Boot

EKNiNeR is on a distinguished road

im with MORE IMPATIENT...you can use 1500 grit sandpaper on an orbital sander then switch to 3000 grit which makes it easier to buff.go with 3M products. pm me if you have other questions bro.