Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Opinions on clutch/flywheel upgrade?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:06 PM
The Dude abides

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1hgej1 is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions on clutch/flywheel upgrade?

I'm getting ready to install the Si transmission on the ZC motor in my Civic hatchback and I'm wanting to upgrade the clutch and flywheel. The car is used for daily driving, and will be used for the occasional drag race/auto-x. Keep in mind the car only has bolt-ons. I've been leaning towards the ACT Streetlite (11.9 lbs.) as of right now. It will most likely be paired with either a Competition stage 1 or 2 clutch, or an Exedy stage 1 organic. Anyone had any experience with the ACT flywheels, or the Competition clutches?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Opinions on clutch/flywheel upgrade?

I don't know much about the clutch you're talking about, but I like the ACT flywheels. Good stuff, the overall weight is about right on the two different applications I've driven. Fine in traffic once you're used to it, and not light enough to cause idle regulation problems. Enjoy.

I still get puzzled every time I see a company rate a flywheel according to weight. It doesn't matter how much it weighs, it only matters where the weight is. I guess if its evenly distributed and the same diameter as stock you could make somewhat of a comparison, but its still a stretch..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-30-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:58 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I still get puzzled every time I see a company rate a flywheel according to weight. It doesn't matter how much it weighs, it only matters where the weight is.
Hmmm, never thought about that.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:04 PM
The Dude abides

I still get puzzled every time I see a company rate a flywheel according to weight. It doesn't matter how much it weighs, it only matters where the weight is. I guess if its evenly distributed and the same diameter as stock you could make somewhat of a comparison, but its still a stretch..
Learn something new every day. I don't think I'll be upgrading the flywheel. I'm just going to get the stage 2 clutch.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

No, I'm not saying you shouldn't get a lighter flywheel, I'm just saying that the weight ratings are meaningless. Any flywheel that is lighter than stock will have less rotational mass, and you'll be able to feel it. Depending on where that mass is, the rotational intertia will be different between different brands though. You could take 3 different brands of "10 lb" flywheels, and they will all have different rotational intertia because of that. It may or may not be a noticeable difference, depending on how different the weight distribution is from brand to brand.
Anyway, you should really get one of the Streetlites, they're a lot of fun and priced nicely, and its a great time to do it while you're doing your clutch. Every car I've owned for the last 11 years or so has had a lightened flywheel as soon as the clutch needs changing. I really want to get rid of the massive OEM flywheel in my WRX, it makes it a little slow revving..
Old 03-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

NamPhantasm is on a distinguished road

I sell a lot of ACT and Competition Clutch products.

(List-15%, plus Free Shipping)

Let me know if you got any questions. Thanks. -Nam (919) 828-1722
Old 03-30-2008, 09:37 PM
The Dude abides

No, I'm not saying you shouldn't get a lighter flywheel, I'm just saying that the weight ratings are meaningless. Any flywheel that is lighter than stock will have less rotational mass, and you'll be able to feel it. Depending on where that mass is, the rotational intertia will be different between different brands though. You could take 3 different brands of "10 lb" flywheels, and they will all have different rotational intertia because of that. It may or may not be a noticeable difference, depending on how different the weight distribution is from brand to brand.
Anyway, you should really get one of the Streetlites, they're a lot of fun and priced nicely, and its a great time to do it while you're doing your clutch. Every car I've owned for the last 11 years or so has had a lightened flywheel as soon as the clutch needs changing. I really want to get rid of the massive OEM flywheel in my WRX, it makes it a little slow revving..

Yeah I know you weren't trying to talk me against the lightweight fly. I think I may just save my money instead since it's an extra $200 or so.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:07 AM
not a noob

JAvenger has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 1hgej1
Yeah I know you weren't trying to talk me against the lightweight fly. I think I may just save my money instead since it's an extra $200 or so.

shop around, you can pick up good light'n flywheels for around 125 shipped.

i have had good experience with the exedy organic stage 1