Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ok running rich?

Old 04-10-2009, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
purekoryo has disabled reputation
Default ok running rich?

I found an sc300 with 1jzgte swap and wanted to buy it, but currently it is untuned and is running rich. During idle it flucuates between 9-10 afr and cruising about 10afr with occasional 11afr. Would the rings wash out if driven like this for about 250 miles? I asked the seller to bring some extra plugs so that it can be swapped out every 100 miles while driving it back. I don't even know if that is necessary.

thanks
Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 AM

Default Re: ok running rich?

or i should ask...has anyone ever driven their cars for a few hundred miles like this and been ok?
Old 04-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Red is the new green

NoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these parts

i put 40000 miles on my old crapper turbo protege running 10afr cuz i was too lazy to tune...you'll get shit gas mileage. just dont redline it.

and the new genesis coupe runs a 10.1 afr under boost, so it cant be that bad...then again it is hyundai
Old 04-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You'll have to run much richer than that to have problems with washdown. You'll be fine, and the worst thing that will happen is the plugs might foul. If you carry a wire toothbrush with you you can just give the plugs a quick cleaning on the way home if you need to, but I seriously doubt plug fouling will be a problem.

Don't skimp on the oil change intervals though, because you might end up with a little more fuel than normal in the oil. I'm sure you're planning on changing the oil when you get it home anyway though, which is the first thing I do with a new car.

Unless you're using a wideband O2 sensor I wouldn't even bother trusting what the gauge says.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-10-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You'll have to run much richer than that to have problems with washdown. You'll be fine, and the worst thing that will happen is the plugs might foul. If you carry a wire toothbrush with you you can just give the plugs a quick cleaning on the way home if you need to, but I seriously doubt plug fouling will be a problem.

Don't skimp on the oil change intervals though, because you might end up with a little more fuel than normal in the oil. I'm sure you're planning on changing the oil when you get it home anyway though, which is the first thing I do with a new car.

Unless you're using a wideband O2 sensor I wouldn't even bother trusting what the gauge says.
thanks for the info!

This gives me more confidence in purchasing the car. i figured the same thing. The car would have to almost not run to have a wash in the cylinder.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by NoTorque
i put 40000 miles on my old crapper turbo protege running 10afr cuz i was too lazy to tune...you'll get shit gas mileage. just dont redline it.

and the new genesis coupe runs a 10.1 afr under boost, so it cant be that bad...then again it is hyundai

were you running 10 afr during cruising or WOT or under boost?
Old 04-11-2009, 04:13 AM

anyone else?