Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Oil stuck in Mustang engine?

Old 06-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Full-time New Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud of
Default Oil stuck in Mustang engine?

A few months back my low oil light in my 95 Mustang 5.0L popped on. After I got home I checked out the dipstick to see where the oil was after the engine sat for a bit. Everything was fine, oil was at the full line, so I figured it might be a glitch or something, so I ignored it.

A couple weeks later came time to do an oil change. I jacked up the car a little, and proceeded to undo the oil drain plug. Surprised and shocked, I only saw about 1.5 quarts come out of the oil pan. Glad my car hadn't died on me, I changed the oil filter and replaced the drain plug and put the recommended 5 quarts of oil in the car. Without checking the level on the dip stick, I continued to drive my car.

My transmission on the Mustang had felt like it was getting ready to crash on me for a while, but then after I changed my oil, it really started to run slugging and lag a bunch on the throttle. One morning I got in the car, and started down the street. Only this time it would only accelerate when I let off the gas like the clutch or something wasn't catching. I turned around and checked my oil level again as well as my transmission fluid. My tranny fluid was fine, but the oil level on my dipstick was three inches past the full line! This confuses me. I drained the oil periodically and kept checking the level and watched it go down little by little. Finally, I had drained all the oil out (about 5 liters of DIRTY oil) of the oil pan, but the dip stick level still read full. The car has been parked in my garage since.

My question is, where is this extra oil that I'm not draining? And why doesn't the level go any lower than full?

NOTE: I'm mainly searching for an answer to the oil problem, but if you have advice on the transmission too, fire away.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

757-A_V_8_R has disabled reputation
Default Re: Oil stuck in Mustang engine?

sure you have the right dipstick?.....if so run a bottle of engine flush through it, but the chance of oil being trapped in the engine is low. And if its to the point of trapping 4 qts. of oil, a flush will likely do nothing. More likely the Wrong Dipstick or a huge dent or foreign object in the oil pan.

My guess is jiffy lube lost you dipstik and had another on laying around ....so they just stuck it in there.

Last edited by 757-A_V_8_R; 06-09-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:37 PM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

Originally Posted by 757-A_V_8_R
sure you have the right dipstick?.....if so run a bottle of engine flush through it, but the chance of oil being trapped in the engine is low. And if its to the point of trapping 4 qts. of oil, a flush will likely do nothing. More likely the Wrong Dipstick or a huge dent or foreign object in the oil pan.

My guess is jiffy lube lost you dipstik and had another on laying around ....so they just stuck it in there.
i concour
Old 06-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Full-time New Guy

Scottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 757-A_V_8_R

That's what one of my concerns was, that it is not the correct dipstick. I'll have to ask my aunt because she had the car before I did, and I've done the oil changes myself without checking the dipstick.

Anyone here have a 95 Mustang GT that can measure their dipstick for me? Haha
Old 06-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Scottyk6
That's what one of my concerns was, that it is not the correct dipstick. I'll have to ask my aunt because she had the car before I did, and I've done the oil changes myself without checking the dipstick.

Anyone here have a 95 Mustang GT that can measure their dipstick for me? Haha
It should be the same size dip stick for any newer 5.0, but don't quote me on that.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt

pardon me for asking, but how are you doing your oil changes? i read your first post and saw in there that after your transmission troubles, you checked the oil on a hill...
Old 06-10-2008, 03:10 AM
Full-time New Guy

Originally Posted by ChokolAwt
pardon me for asking, but how are you doing your oil changes? i read your first post and saw in there that after your transmission troubles, you checked the oil on a hill...
Checked the oil on a hill? Haha. I pull my car into my level garage, jack it up in the front, undo the bolt, let it drain, undo the oil filter, replace the filter with a new one, put drain bolt back in, and then put new oil in.

Standard oil changing procedures.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:10 AM
Grippin the Grain

importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic

i know exactly what's wrong with your stang. the same thing happened to me with a customer's 5.0 mustang. believe it or not, but the 5.0l has 2 drain plugs on it. you have to drain both of them, because if you don't when you add the recommend oil quanity it will be very high above the safe level on your dipstick and your car will show the symptoms that you are having. trust me, i was amazed myself.

Last edited by importfanatic; 06-10-2008 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Registered Member

luckyindychild has disabled reputation

some of the ford 5.0 engines had two drain plugs, check on the front of the oil pan too
Old 06-10-2008, 05:49 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by importfanatic
i know exactly what's wrong with your stang. the same thing happened to me with a customer's 5.0 mustang. believe it or not, but the 5.0l has 2 drain plugs on it. you have to drain both of them, because if you don't when you add the recommend oil quanity it will be very high above the safe level on your dipstick and your car will show the symptoms that you are having. trust me, i was amazed myself.
Originally Posted by luckyindychild
some of the ford 5.0 engines had two drain plugs, check on the front of the oil pan too
I'm with these guys

Quick Reply: Oil stuck in Mustang engine?