Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Oil pump question.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Ohhh Snap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez
Default Oil pump question.

I started getting a oil light come on,didnt think anything of it since it did it on my last motor.Changed the pressure switch cause i was sure that was it,but still im getting the light.Now ive heard about sticking a washer on the one of the oil pressure valves(dont have time to go look for the thread,but its called shimming) and that a lot of people who build and boost single cams do this to raise oil pressure.Could i just do this or go with a new oil pump?

Also will a d16z6 oil pump fit a d15b7 bottom end?

Tomorrow im going to tear it apart to find out if theres maybe something stuck in the screen from when the headgasket popped,but if not im going to order a new pump and pickup tube.

By the way,my front crank is leaking real damn bad,noob question:would that low the pressure in the crank case?Having a constant flow of oil come out.

I have the new front crank seal in hand,but have work in an hour.

Any help and info is appreciated,and sorry the threads kinda long.

FIXED;thanks to a new front crank seal,oil pump o ring,and re-sealing the mounting surface.

Last edited by madsteez; 04-13-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:34 PM
gotta go gotta go

cr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oil pump question.

Lol, man, you're just having all kinds of shitty luck huh? Anytime you have a serious leak problem, you'll experience a loss in pressure. Take a oil pressure gauge and check to see what the current pressure is. Oil pump shimming can be done to increase the pressure but that won't help you if you have a leak. In fact, that'll work against you as the increase of pressure will result in an increase of leakage. Start with the front main seal, as it needs replacing anyway. Then work outward from there. Testing the oil pressure with a gauge will help determine whether or not the oil pump needs to be replaced. Normal pressure @ 3000 rpm is about 50 psi, I believe (someone double check me).
Old 04-12-2008, 07:48 PM
gotta go gotta go

cr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond repute

And the d16z6 oil pump will fit on the d15b7.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez

Originally Posted by cr1m3rat3z
Lol, man, you're just having all kinds of shitty luck huh? Anytime you have a serious leak problem, you'll experience a loss in pressure. Take a oil pressure gauge and check to see what the current pressure is. Oil pump shimming can be done to increase the pressure but that won't help you if you have a leak. In fact, that'll work against you as the increase of pressure will result in an increase of leakage. Start with the front main seal, as it needs replacing anyway. Then work outward from there. Testing the oil pressure with a gauge will help determine whether or not the oil pump needs to be replaced. Normal pressure @ 3000 rpm is about 50 psi, I believe (someone double check me).
Ya i know tell me about it man haha,but ya i found it odd for this motor to be having low oil pressure,since it was just rebuilt and everything was done according to spec.If something would have been recommended im sure my builder would have said so.But im thinking its the front seal,it drizzles oil from behind the timing cover but i wont be able to find out till tomorrow.Im going to do a new cam seal as well since im in there.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Originally Posted by madsteez
Ya i know tell me about it man haha,but ya i found it odd for this motor to be having low oil pressure,since it was just rebuilt and everything was done according to spec.If something would have been recommended im sure my builder would have said so.But im thinking its the front seal,it drizzles oil from behind the timing cover but i wont be able to find out till tomorrow.Im going to do a new cam seal as well since im in there.
Least your thousand dollar motor isn't blown
haha

Im mad the state trooper told me I shoulda stuck with the D-series for longevity. So you still got that oil light? Is your shit leaking at all? Crank/rear main?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Ohhh Snap

Originally Posted by Sedan Man stan
Least your thousand dollar motor isn't blown
haha

Im mad the state trooper told me I shoulda stuck with the D-series for longevity. So you still got that oil light? Is your shit leaking at all? Crank/rear main?
pshh you blow up d and b series.
Its either front crank,cam,or oil pump mouting gasket.