Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Oil leaking

Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC
Unhappy Oil leaking

OK, I've got this oil leak coming from the left side of the engine. Drove the car for about 5-6 months after going turbo before the oil streak started to show. Started of relatively slow at first then after i drove the car to work there'd be a lot, but it only showed after i turned the car off and it sat for about 10 minutes. So I bought a new head gasket and ARP head studs and had that put on. Still doing it. A week after getting a re-tune and driving it, we re-torqued the head studs back to 80ft/lbs this past Saturday. Sunday I sprayed the block down with brake cleaner and proceeded to put the engine through its paces. Hit triple mph digits, redline, etc and when i popped the hood, dry as a bone. Didn't drive the car no more than about 15 miles from home and every time over the weekend i popped the hood, still dry as a bone. Problem fixed? Nope. Drove to work this morning, which is about 30 miles or 40 minutes, and popped the hood when i got to work, still dry as a bone. Went inside for about 30 minutes, came back out and I see this...again

doesn't look like it's coming from the vtec solenoid, but i was advised that I do need to replace it and the cam seal, or the distributor. every time i have removed the distributor, it's been dry as a bone. So i'm at a loss here. Should i just replace the vtec solenoid gasket and cam seal to see if that fixes it? Could it still be the head gasket?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:35 AM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov
Default Re: Oil leaking

Looks like its still coming from the head gasket. When you had the head off, did you have it machined? And did you check the block for warpage?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:35 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

I guess it's not the rear main seal. Def worth checking the cam cap, and vtec o-ring
Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

Originally Posted by ILLEGAL
I guess it's not the rear main seal. Def worth checking the cam cap, and vtec o-ring
The rear main would not show a leak between the head and block. Unless oil decides to defy laws of gravity and leak upwards instead of down, I don't see that being a possibility.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:44 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby

At first I was going to say valve cover gasket but seeing that the oil starts at the block and head mating surface I'm with Pico, looks to be the head gasket, you could always replace the cam seal and vtec sylinoid gasket first if you want to try before pulling the head but doesn't look like it would be the cause unless there's oil running down the head that I can't see in the picture.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

It's not like there is a clutch in there spinning around flinging oil everywhere when the seal does go bad. But yes, as I said, prob not. While reading, before seeing the pic, it was my first thought, assuming the head/block isn't warped and the head gasket is correct.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:03 AM
-RepLegion

Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head

B series is famous for this, when i was working at acura we would always put a small amount of honda bond on the corner of the head gasket. never had the problem again. Get you a new head gasket and put a small amount on the corner. you'll be fine.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:04 AM
Registered member

Mirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to all

When I had a cam seal leak, it initially looked just like that with fresh oil. Over time though, and as dirt stuck to the leaking oil, I could see the path the oil was taking. It was just pooling up on that flat surface and then running down further. Have you felt under the cam seal or water neck? You may not be able to see it, but you may be able to feel it with your hands.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

No, i didn't have the head or block machined. Didn't have any problems until the oil leak started a few months after going turbo. If i had actually had a blow head gasket, then i probably would have taken it to the machine shop. Regarding the vtec solenoid and cam seal, i did place stuff paper towels in the crevasses before i drove home. When i pulled them out, I did have some oil on them, not a lot. I guess I'm going to have to replace the vtec solenoid gasket, cam seal, distributor o-ring, and valve cover gaskets to rule those out. Then if it continues, head gasket w/ some hondabond.

But the thing that gets me is that I got nothing all weekend while driving it hard over short distances, but only when I drive it longer distances and after about 10-15 minutes will it begin to leak...and not while i'm driving.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Registered member

John M John M John M John M John M John M John M John M John M John M John M

check your dizzy o ring and vtec gasket and cam seal and change them sall then retry for a leak.

Quick Reply: Oil leaking