Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

oil flow help

Old 09-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mcspartan1227 has disabled reputation
Default oil flow help

i have a 93 accord. the car started leaking a little oil recently, then burning it and the engine sounded like it was being tortured for lubrication. the dipstick said theres no oil in it the system so i went to change it but the oil pan was more than 100% full with good oil. i put new oil in anyway and it was good for a few days but it started to make the noises and leak again and if i drive it too long it will start to overheat slightly from friction.
oils pan is still full
dipstick still says empty
filter is good

what do i do? whats the problem?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Dunevant07 has disabled reputation
Default Re: oil flow help

dd you see if your oil pump is bad or if there is a clog in your system
Old 09-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

1st;

Is your dipstick normally accurate? How do you know the oill pan is full? Unless there were changes, I find it odd where you can say your dipstick isn't reading anything yet you have oil.

Second, do you see where it is leaking from? A lot of times, if a front or rear main seal gets bad enough, it can twist itself into a bind and walk out of its seat. This cause you to loose oil very rapidly.

Unless you've changed something, I seriously doubt you have sufficient oil. Try filling it back up and check the oil as you do. Then look for where its leaking from.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'd trust the dipstick, assuming that the dipstick tube hasn't moved out of the block or something like that. How are you measuring that it's 100% full if the dipstick says no oil and the engine sounds like it's oil starved? What you're saying doesn't add up.

When you changed the oil and put the factory recommended amount of oil in, what did the dipstick say?
Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

mcspartan1227 has disabled reputation

my dipstick was usually accurate but the has been a problem getting it back into its tube lately. about halfway down it needs to forced and twisted so it will go all the way down

ive changed the oil twice since i felt like the leak was affecting it to a point where there was no more oil and the dipstick said it was empty but every time i empty it just over 4-6 quarts comes out with no problem. its only suppose to have 4 in there but i sometimes add an extra if ive been driving for a while and i feel like the friction is nearing to much for it to handle.

the leak is slow and from the back of the engine. it hasnt caused me to have less than 4 quarts in the engine at a time but its definitely leaving a spot on my driveway thats growing

i havent checked the oil pump, where is it? the car has almost 280,000 miles on it so some gaskets could be going but im not sure which to check
Old 09-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So you're putting up to 6 quarts in an engine that is supposed to have 4?
Maybe you've got sludge or something built up in your dipstick tube that is wiping the dipstick off. There really isn't any other reason that full plus 1 quart isn't registering on the dipstick. By the way, you're probably losing a little power with the extra oil; too high of an oil level can lead to windage problems.

I don't think it's "overheating from friction" unless you have a serious problem with the cooling system. Adding more oil doesn't decrease friction, I'm really confused about where you're getting these ideas from.. That's like saying your engine makes more power because the fuel tank is full.

Do you have any friends who could take a look at it for you?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-19-2009 at 08:39 AM.