Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Oil analysis thoughts?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Oil analysis thoughts?

Anybody pro at reading these? Thoughts?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: Oil analysis thoughts?

Your shit is fucked up.

But they say its good.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:32 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Jarrod
Your shit is fucked up.

But they say its good.

Don't do that to a man who is on his second engine after the first one galled itself together. Just about had a heart attack until I scrolled down more.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Better question - Why did ya get this done? Is your car giving you issues? Looks like your car needs a vitamin D supplement
Old 01-27-2010, 07:34 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Better question - Why did ya get this done? Is your car giving you issues? Looks like your car needs a vitamin D supplement
Well, I'm a little worried about having re-grinds for cams. I wanted to make sure they aren't wasting away. That and I wanted to see how the Joe Gibbs Hot Rod Oil does against Motul 300V (which is in it now and will be analyzed next). Those of us with flat tappet cams have to be careful about the oil we use nowadays.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

From what I can see you had 10k on the oil and their recommendation is to do nothing... meaning that your oil is good for 10k in your driving conditions/style. Most of the time the reports will tell you how far you could go on the oil.... i.e. you went 8k, but you'd be good for 12k.

Personally I just do 10k changes w/ the fancy 15k mobil 1 in my truck and 5k changed w/ the standard Mobil 1 in my Corvettes. Ran Amsoil in the Z06 when I was tracking it b/c I wanted to run 5w40.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:37 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
From what I can see you had 10k on the oil and their recommendation is to do nothing... meaning that your oil is good for 10k in your driving conditions/style. Most of the time the reports will tell you how far you could go on the oil.... i.e. you went 8k, but you'd be good for 12k.

Personally I just do 10k changes w/ the fancy 15k mobil 1 in my truck and 5k changed w/ the standard Mobil 1 in my Corvettes. Ran Amsoil in the Z06 when I was tracking it b/c I wanted to run 5w40.
10k on the engine, 2550 miles on the oil (Joe Gibbs says to change out their oil after 3000miles because it's low detergent).
Old 01-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Oh... which lab did you send it to? Only one I've ever done went to Blackstone and the report was quite detailed explaining the results.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Oh... which lab did you send it to? Only one I've ever done went to Blackstone and the report was quite detailed explaining the results.
Eh, the guy I bought the Motul from also sells analysis service so I just went with that. He uses Staveley.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Fanboi

Gotcha... never used them. Only ever really looked at Blackstone reports. Plus different motors will have different results. For example, LSXs have high copper content in the bearings so the oil analyses will show high levels that could be cause for concern in another type of motor.

Quick Reply: Oil analysis thoughts?