Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

noob to the honda game

Old 07-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brondon1990 has disabled reputation
Default noob to the honda game

i got a 2000 civic ex coupe. right now it has a d15b8 in it that i want to get rid off and put the original y8 in. but heres the thing i was wanting to know what route i could take as far maybe getting some horsepower with little cost. i want to hit the 200-250 mark atleast. cause this car is my daily. so if anyone could send me in the right direction that would be greats
Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Ovechkinator !

TITS has disabled reputation
Default Re: noob to the honda game

ls1 !
Old 07-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

BatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these parts

Boost is going to be the most cost effective way.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

So if i do boost what exactly would i need to do to get it up to my desired whp? i've been reading up on the forums and everyone says they just by bolt on kits. rebuild the motor depending on mileage of the motor and then just use stock internals and throw the kit on. tune and go. no sleeving or anything like that. Is that a route i could really go or should i build up the bottom end just as a precaution?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

vxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to all

Just boost it around 7 psi and then get it tuned, no real work is needed to be done to the motor at that low level of boost. You will like the response of that turbo motor and you'll have fun! If you don't really know what you are doing, I wouldn't just boost and go if I were you! You are on the right track of reading up but everything you are thinking of has already been done so many times before..... READ up and happy boosting!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

BatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these parts

I'd say do a compression and leak down test of the motor. If its healthy enough to stand boost, then do what above post says. Nothing worse then spending the money on the turbo kit only to have it last a few runs.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:19 PM
misunderstood.

s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin

If you are gonna go boost do it the right way, or you are gonna be pretty upset you did it at all. A n/a all motor single cam is gonna be a lot to hit 250whp.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

ok a friend of mine just told me that getting rid of the b8 really isn't necessary because they can reach the goal im looking for. he says that doing a mini me and building up just the bottom end should do just fine. any confirmations on this?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Originally Posted by Delbanner
You have to handle boost in stages if you want a reliable setup that puts out the best horsepower. At the start of ANY boost project, you need to be positive that your engine can handle the extra stress a boosted system will require, or youll be buying engines in quick order. This means gauging what needs to be replaced in terms of water pump, hoses, radiator, oil pump, ALL BELTS, header bolt torquing, ANYTHING that can weaken or already has weakened due to normal wear and tear. Gaskets all around are a must, and there are several sites out on the web that list the safe steps to improving your engine before and after adding turbos. An engine that you can rely on is always the first step to correct modding.

Here is a good mods guideline to follow:

1: Boost causes heat. Look for ways to cool down your engine bay like aluminum radiators, brand new hoses, aluminum piping, etc. Make sure your oil lines are good and that you are running a good oil pump, as lubrication is essential to a good running turbo.
2: Boost requires airflow. Intercoolers, performance air filters, and larger piping/duct work get more air into the combustion chamber.
3: Boost requires exhaust. Running a boosted system off of a factory exhaust is like force-feeding a horse with a small asshole. Open up your system with the same throughput from the manifold (or wastegate, depending on the turbo) all the way back to the tailpipe, not just from the cat-back. Eliminating 90 deg. bends in your piping can vastly improve your airflow and net you more horsepower.
4: Boost requires good fuel economy. New injectors, fuel lines, spark plugs/wires, fuel pump, CLEAN OCTANE GASOLINE (not cheapo 7/11 shit), fuel filters, etc. will go far to preventing detonation issues.
5: Boost requires good FUEL MANAGEMENT. Air/fuel computers, improved MAF sensors, piggyback ECUs (later on), wideband O2, pod gauges, etc. will help prevent lean conditions and improper firing.
Just so I dont have to retype it.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

alright much appreciated.

Quick Reply: noob to the honda game