Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

noise when driving at a constant speed?

Old 12-03-2007, 12:46 PM
CTR
ACCOUNTANT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTR has disabled reputation
Default noise when driving at a constant speed?

its is not very loud. but its there. I can barely hear it, but i can really feel through the pedal. not sure if it is a loud knock or a loud click. imo it is like a repeating light thud noise.

It only appears when I keep my foot on the petal to driving at a constant speed. not when decelerating or accelerating. i think it more apparent from 30-50 then stops after a 60mph+

could a exhaust leak be the problem? or axles? wheel bearing? spun rod bearing?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Update: I changed the driver side axle. Noise is gone. Thanks for all the input fellas

Last edited by CTR; 01-01-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: noise when driving at a constant speed?

Tire imbalance or uneven wear maybe. When is the last time you had your tires rotated?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:42 PM
CTR
ACCOUNTANT

CTR has disabled reputation

i actually just recently got new tires put on a weekend. tried not to drive much and got an alignment that monday. 2 front toes were out. the guy did mentioned to me that he thought it was not balanced correctly since he didnt see any weights. but i dont think he look close enough b/c i could see the sticky weights after a little searching. and plus, i didnt feel any vibration when driving.

im not a tire expert but i just assumed that if the noise wasn't constant throughout the speed then it wasn't the tires.

but yeah. thanks for the input! i really appreciate it man. ill rotate them and see what happens.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Most balance and vibration issues are speed dependent. Think about your washing machine, if it's got too much weight on one side, it will usually start sounding like it wants to bust out of the basement when it reaches a certain speed during the spin cycle. It's the same with tires, there is usually a combination of imbalance and rotational speed that will make the tire resonate.
It's possible it's a wheel bearing instead, that is often wheel speed dependant also, but will usually change if you accelerate/decel, or turn; you're loading the bearing differently in those conditions so it often won't behave the same.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:58 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Most balance and vibration issues are speed dependent. Think about your washing machine, if it's got too much weight on one side, it will usually start sounding like it wants to bust out of the basement when it reaches a certain speed during the spin cycle. It's the same with tires, there is usually a combination of imbalance and rotational speed that will make the tire resonate.
It's possible it's a wheel bearing instead, that is often wheel speed dependant also, but will usually change if you accelerate/decel, or turn; you're loading the bearing differently in those conditions so it often won't behave the same.
2D balance (bubble balancing) versus dynamic machine balancing on the tire. It will cause a range of harmonic vibration during acceleration. (usually 30-70 mph) It's not exceptionally noticeable at higher speeds, or very low speeds normally. It's also possible it wasn't mounted perfectly on the machine, or double-checked to ensure it was correct.

Usually, a machine balance that is off will be felt the entire time, as it truly is off. However, it will be more noticeable at certain times, again, due to harmonic principles.

My previous car developed such a vibration as the tires began to wear. The initial balance job on the tires was horrid. Absolutely terrible. I had them re-balanced (precision balanced, actually - ask for this service, but expect to pay a little more) and they were smooth as silk. Mostly, it caused a slight vibration and tire noise at around 55-65 mph on mine. But it was quite noticeable in that range.