Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

no sprak in friend's da teg... please help

Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20
Default no sprak in friend's da teg... please help

LONG STORY (cliff notes at bottom)

I'm being a generous guy and helping out one of my girlfriend's friends with her 90 integra ls... the car was pretty clean until her boyfriend got a hold of it

the interior hasn't been molested at all... the actual original motor was blown 3rd day of her owning the car due to his incompetence, and he attempted to drop in another swap... a week later her car is running again...

2 days later her alternator dies... and being pissed at him, i'm drug into a long drawn out situation...

so i replace the distributor, fairly easily... about a 35-40 minute job since i had to pull the axle, unlike my 94 coupe... and since he had been riding around all day roll starting the car, replaced the battery as well...

WHILE I'M DOING THE ACTUAL NECESSARY WORK, HE IS INSTALLING A STEREO SYSTEM, HARDWIRING IT TO FUSE PANEL AND INDIVIDUAL SPEAKERS... *sigh*

crank her up runs fine goes home, thought that was the end...

next morning, she calls... the car won't start again... pull out my trusty lil test light to see that not only was the alternator solenoid blown in her main fuse panel, but about 12-14 other fuses were as well including head lights, tach/speedometer, and rear lights. with that being said she prolly dind't need the alternator in first place, but she has money and now she has a new alternator... replace the fuses... HE roll starts her, let her run about 15 minutes... cut it off, back on, good to go....

NEXT MORNING... call, it happened again... this time rip out the stereo, it's garbage anyway...also i notice ALL THE GROUNDS have been removed from the motor... which i'm really surprised it ran at all before like that, and can't really believe i over looked it... SO i grounded out the motor, 4 places as well as thermostat housing...placed the battery on a plastic tray since it was sitting on the metal tray... and NOTHING

removed #1 wire, thru in a screwdriver, no arc... so not getting fire past dizzy, ok... unplugged dizzy, had my buddy whirl her over a few times, nothing coming from the harness... only the secondary plug which has 2 wires was pulling a reading from 1 pin...

possibly he screwed up the harness or pinched something while removing previous swap? maybe just the dizzy? i'm not getting paid at all for this and i'm already tired of looking at it, so any suggestions are appreciated!

CLIFFNOTES:

90 ls integra
new swap ran fine 5 days
alternator went out or so it seemed
replaced alternator battery added stereo
next day replaced all fuses that were burnt including alternator solenoid
next day completely grounded motor since there was a lack of and replaced fuses again, pulled stereo out completely
next day test light incoming to dizzy no fire, no nothing
baffled, help
Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

slo_b18 slo_b18 slo_b18 slo_b18
Default Re: no sprak in friend's da teg... please help

did u check the ground on the engine harness? i had a similar problem on 94 accord
Old 07-13-2009, 01:21 PM
NISSAN <3

JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX

sprak...is that japanese for spark? idk
Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 AM
Registered member

dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20 dustyb20

Originally Posted by Scout Trooper
sprak...is that japanese for spark? idk
it was spark... any person with common sense could figure that out... sorry i was in a hurry while working on the car...

the problem was pinched wires when he put the swap in... found it fixed it... cranks up great... thanks for the input
Old 07-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

1rude2l has disabled reputation

Try a different dizzy yet? Just to get it running again, then worry bout the alternator and fuse problems.