Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

No power to CD player

Old 09-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolguycar has disabled reputation
Default No power to CD player

i have a 00 Mitsubishi Galant and i wanted to install a subwoofer in it so i took the stock CD player out and wanted to replace it with a aftermaket CD player. The stock CD player was working fine in the car but once i took it out and put the new one in, it would not turn on. I know i connected all the right wires because i bought one of those kits from Best buy and it tells you what wires to connect and its pretty straight forward. After trying to figure it out the only thing i could think of was that maybe the radio fuse blew so i checked that out and found out that there was no fuse and then i looked further in and there was no metal prongs or wires that would even connect to the fuse. All of this didnt make sence to me because i knew that the stock CD player was working fine so to try to figure out the problem i put the stock one back in to see if it would turn on and i found out that the only way the stock one would power on was if you put in the antenna/radio wire.
I have never heard of a car running off a radio wire before and not needing the radio fuse. If anyone can tell me what to do or give me help trying to figure out how to get the aftermarket CD player to work i would really appreciate it.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:02 AM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk
Default Re: No power to CD player

When you say "antenna/radio wire" I assume you mean the antenna coax, or do you mean the power antenna (as in one that goes up and down via power) wire?

If it's the coax, then you have a bad ground.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

Im talking about the black wire that gos into the back of the CD player that has the metal prongs on the side of it. The stock CD player works when its in but if i pulled it out it wouldnt work but when i tryed the same thing with the aftermarket CD player it wouldnt turn on either way.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

sometime the atenna wire acts like a ground wire . seems to be your problem . try grounding the wire that is black (black -usually the ground wire but check the kit you bought )off of the wiring harness you bought and ground it to the chasis somewhere , that should fix your problem.

Last edited by aacjohnc; 09-19-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:51 PM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

Originally Posted by coolguycar
Im talking about the black wire that gos into the back of the CD player that has the metal prongs on the side of it. The stock CD player works when its in but if i pulled it out it wouldnt work but when i tryed the same thing with the aftermarket CD player it wouldnt turn on either way.
That's the antenna coaxial (inner conductor and outer shielding - hence isn't a "wire" that's singular). The shielding (not the middle "peg" conductor but the "prongs" on the side as you put it) is acting as your ground, which I suspected it was hence the question.

No need to add more, the poster above me said precisely what I was going to. Have fun with it.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:10 PM
NISSAN <3

JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX

^ its def your ground wire.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Alright so i tryed to do what yall said and its still not working. anything els you think it might be? i also got with the wire kit another set of wires just incase i wanted to hook up a amp to power the CD player. do you think i should try to use that?
Old 09-20-2008, 12:54 PM
NISSAN <3

JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX

Alright so i tryed to do what yall said and its still not working. anything els you think it might be? i also got with the wire kit another set of wires just incase i wanted to hook up a amp to power the CD player. do you think i should try to use that?
hell no, dont power your radio up with your amp
Old 09-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

you will still have to use the other plug for your sound to your speaker but you could try to use that plug for just your + - and igition leads and see waht happens to power your unit .